Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 running lean

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Sorry mate wouldn't know the specs. If i have issues with a temp sensor i would normally just throw a new one in and not bother testing with a MM. @BlackVXGTS is pretty good with stuff like pages from the VS workshop manual. Hopefully he sees this and can give you the info.
Thank you. You are right about replacing it but there is enough sensors and wearable parts on the outside of the engine that could cause problems to burn the better part of a grand chasing a phantom that I'll take a bit of extra time and test first.
Plus I'm deep enough into this car already it would be nice to stop pouring money on it and enjoy driving around soon.

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Just for the record if those plugs are not gapped right i wouldn't recommend trying to regap them as the ground strap can sometimes break off if the plugs have already been in the engine.

True.
The cars done maybe half a tank of fuel on them
It's not a small annoying pink or miss it's actually quiet undriveable, unsafe on the road cos you can't move off if it decides your not getting power

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Are you sure it's not a trans issue? Low fluid causing surge etc?
BTW: what part of NZ you in?
Checked and done. Most definitely lean. Splutters pops, really quite undriveable. If it's cold, hooks up and spins the bags and the engine will rev and is.....well 1996 powerful

I'm outside Invercargill

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You are right about replacing it but there is enough sensors and wearable parts on the outside of the engine that could cause problems

But that's the one sensor that you have an actual definite positive effect from isolating or changing from the rest of the car. Would literally shop around on the net and just spend the $20 or $30 and be done with it, it's your strongest indicator so far. At this stage anything else is just guessing.

Worth mentioning too, I've had leads fail that tested fine with a multi meter, testing them is one thing but having them function in real world conditions with heat soak and current passing through them and old insulation is another.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Also worth mentioning that if it was VATS the car wouldn't crank/start at all or it would start and just stop dead in it's tracks. It's a security measure, VATS has no actual bearing on performance.

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
But that's the one sensor that you have an actual definite positive effect from isolating or changing from the rest of the car. Would literally shop around on the net and just spend the $20 or $30 and be done with it, it's your strongest indicator so far. At this stage anything else is just guessing.

Worth mentioning too, I've had leads fail that tested fine with a multi meter, testing them is one thing but having them function in real world conditions with heat soak and current passing through them and old insulation is another.

The temp sensor is going to have to come out for one reason or the other. At the moment what it is proving is that it is a closed loop issue.
By unplugging it the computer thinks the engine is cold started and runs open loop.
I'll check and will post results

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Also worth mentioning that if it was VATS the car wouldn't crank/start at all or it would start and just stop dead in it's tracks. It's a security measure, VATS has no actual bearing on performance.

I'm getting the vats removed off another chip so I can confirm it's not a closed loop tune problem and they'll give the memcal a tick or 2 while in there

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
By unplugging it the computer thinks the engine is cold started and runs open loop.

Which would still point to the sensor being a likely issue.

I'm getting the vats removed off another chip so I can confirm it's not a closed loop tune problem and they'll give the memcal a tick or 2 while in there

VATS has nothing to do with closed loop, it has nothing to do with any table or any parameter of the tune that effects the operation of engine. It's simply a check box on the memcal that tells the ECU to look for a security signal from the BCM, and if that signal is not present to not operate. It literally stands for Vehicle Anti Theft Signal.

Last edited: