Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 starting problem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
Hi all,
Having some trouble with my SSV ute, I changed the oil about 2 weeks ago (66,000km) to some Penrite Racing 10w-40, new OEM filter, everything is completely stock. Since then on cold start it takes maybe a fraction longer on the starter before it kicks, then it will stumble along at around 500rpm (sounds like less than 8 cylinders) and pops a bit from the exhaust for about 2 seconds before it clears and comes up to the normal warm up idle. No smoke or anything from the exhaust, no excessive lifter rattle or other noise. After that 2 seconds everything is completely normal, no signs of any problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
Possibly an alternator or throttle wire, do you find the revs jumping around when you are driving? or going so low that it will nearly stall? Or maybe dirty spark plugs?

This used to happen to my old VX all the time, could be a different problem though

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Ute
Haven't changed the plugs yet, might do them soon. No other issues with the way it runs everything else is perfect. Might be leaky injectors or something see what the stealership says :/

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
Haven't changed the plugs yet, might do them soon. No other issues with the way it runs everything else is perfect. Might be leaky injectors or something see what the stealership says :/

If your V8 has AFM (Active Fuel Management) then thats the reason it sounds like a 6, Reason being as since your not using the power it wont waste your fuel and run all 8 cyl

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Did you also get fuel on the same day as the oil change?

It could be just coincidence, try disconnecting the battery (negative terminal only) for 15mins, reconnect and start. There is a procedure for VE V8 (E38 ECM Reset) details on how to do it below.

ECM reset.

Ignition off.
Pull ECM fuses. ( In the VE there is one where the battery is (little black box) and the other in the fuse box in the engine bay)
Turn ignition on (DO NOT START ENGINE) till the warning chimes sound.
Turn Ignition off.
Replace fuse/s.
Turn ignition on and check that all is OK.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
If your V8 has AFM (Active Fuel Management) then thats the reason it sounds like a 6, Reason being as since your not using the power it wont waste your fuel and run all 8 cyl

As I understand it Cold start-up would not be in AFM mode, it would be full 8 during warm-up. AFM would only be activated when cruising at a constant speed (such as highway) for a period of time.

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
As I understand it Cold start-up would not be in AFM mode, it would be full 8 during warm-up. AFM would only be activated when cruising at a constant speed (such as highway) for a period of time.

Not how mine runs, My OBDII Reads 6 active cylinders upon start up but goes to 8 during acceleration and normal driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Not how mine runs, My OBDII Reads 6 active cylinders upon start up but goes to 8 during acceleration and normal driving

Haha! Take a video, that's brilliant!!

OP I've had this problem too, right after oil change. It went away within weeks.

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Old thread I know but has anyone had a solution to this problem? My car has started to have this issue and it seems to be getting worse but it only happends in the morning on the first start then it starts fine, any ideas?

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Why Racing oil?
Who are you racing your stock car against?