Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 VH-first car

vh_thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
i got my first car, a v8 vh sl back in jan 05.
cause of the pplate restrictions i can't drive it though (retard RTA).
its got a standard 253 and trimatic, beige interior and is painted white so its an old persons car. it has a v8 though so it sounds nice and goes pretty well.
so far i've just cleaned it up a bit, added the front spoiler, put on sle rims and taillights, rebuilt the headlights and added clear indicators.
i plan to paint it eventually, hot up the motor and put a bit of sound gear in it, just your average first car.
:driving:

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 217
  • enginefront.jpg
    enginefront.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 204
  • frontinterior.jpg
    frontinterior.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 212

vh_thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
i'm thinking of selling it and buying a torana though. that way i won't be ****ed around by the rta if i try for an exemption. :hit:
more pics:

Attachments

• sideon1.jpg
    sideon1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 186
  • bodykit.jpg
    bodykit.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 192
  • bodykitmylar.jpg
    bodykitmylar.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 184
F

foammedia

Why can't you drive it? it's not enough power or displacement to be a problem in Victoria? the rules in NSW are harsher?, In fact a VN V6 would monster a blue 253 and I bet you are allowed to drive them. P.S car looks mint :)

vh_thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
foammedia said:
Why can't you drive it? it's not enough power or displacement to be a problem in Victoria? the rules in NSW are harsher?, In fact a VN V6 would monster a blue 253 and I bet you are allowed to drive them. P.S car looks mint :)

cheers :)
i wish you were right but all v8s, turbos, supercharged cars and some high performance 6s are banned for pplaters who got there ps after july 05 (i think it was july anyway)
we don't have the better power/weight thingo because NSW law makers are morons and the rta (who are also morons) support them and spread lies.

F

foammedia

Well that's just spastic.

Looks like it's well worth keeping if you have a spare slot in the shed for it, It will be a classic by the time your P's are finished, also how come you are allowed to drive a Torana? are we talking a 6 cylinder one?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Those laws are ridiculous....you cant drive a 100kw V8 VH but if you had the money you could be out driving a 190kw SV6...Where is the logic?

Anyways, what kind of Torana you thinking of buying m8? It would be a bitch not being able to drive your car cause of those laws, be hard to have the patience while you have your P's

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
foammedia said:
Well that's just spastic.

Oddly enough that was pretty much the same reaction experienced by everyone in NSW with an average understanding of cars when the new laws were anounced by our somehwhat intellectullay challenged government. I was considering the idea of informing the local state MP dude that my six cylinder falcon was capable of doing 130km/h in second gear and would get there quite quickly actually, while still being completely legal under the new laws, but decided not to on the grounds that the silly buggers might try banning the loveable old heap of junk. FFS the bastards banned turbo diesels! (changed their mind eventually but daaaamn!)

foammedia said:
Looks like it's well worth keeping if you have a spare slot in the shed for it, It will be a classic by the time your P's are finished, also how come you are allowed to drive a Torana? are we talking a 6 cylinder one?

Yeah, he'd have to be talking 6 cylinder, which with a couple of subtle mod's would go very nicely. It's possible to get an exemption from the laws as well if he fits some criteria, like if he purchased the vehicle before the laws came into effect, or if it's the only vehicle he has access to.

Anyway yeah, vh_thunder, hope you manage to hang onto the VH and get an exemption, because that would be an awesome first car. Although depending on what type, a torrie could also be very cool, what series were you looking at?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
1991_Vn2nV said:
Those laws are ridiculous....you cant drive a 100kw V8 VH but if you had the money you could be out driving a 190kw SV6...Where is the logic?

SV6 wouldn't sound or look anywhere near as threatening. :p The old 253 had that real grumpy sound to it, and the VH was a fairly angular aggressive shape. Niiiiice. Or in government speak, baaaaad. The one in question looks very neat though, pretty good paint considering it's age. Also, does it have different rims in the last picture or am I drunk?

vh_thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
thanks for your comments everyone
pandaman, its an old pic when it had stockies and vl wheel covers :D
your right about the look, from the front the look bloody tough. it only has 1 muffler ATM so it sounds real beefy :driving:
i'm looking at all the lc/lj coupes (which are probably too expensive for me anyway) and lh/x's. if i can sell the vh i'll probably go for an lh or lx manual sedan though or another vh with a 6.
if i still have it next year i'll try for an exemption of the grounds that i had it before the laws came in. only problem is it wasn't registered in my name and ran out of rego since then so the rta might say i didn't own it.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Surely the government would have a few ppl that arent so retarded lol....Some people that dont wanna ban a car for p platers cause of its look/sound like the VH...

I reckon the torana idea would be the go...Theres a number of guys around Adelaide doing up Torana's now...Theres some that look damn awesome. Sweet cars imo

Best of luck with the VH or Torana if you buy one.