Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Wont start after Installing new Spark Plug Leads :(

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Hey,

Just bought some new LPG Leads for my 5L today and installed them as they're suppose to be, now I cant get the car to turn over? It sounds like its trying to but just wont.

I managed to get it to run once, but you could tell it was running very rough and as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator it died :(

Had anyone any ideas? I believe ive tried everything, checked all leads are connected properly etc, plus they're new plugs put on a couple wks ago so Im out of ideas!

Thanks,

Mark.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
sounds like you have got the leads mixed up putting them back on, check you have the right firing order.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Could be a dodgy lead. Turn i back on, let it struggle, pull leads off one-by-one see if it gets worse. The cylinder it doesn't change could be bad. Also check with a multimeter for resistance, not conclusive but it is worth trying first.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
As the other posts have said, make sure you have the leads in the correct positions on the distributor cap as per the attached diagram. You may have all the leads in the correct order but one position out on the cap.
V8 Distributor & Leads.jpg

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Hey guys, thanks for the advice, just an update, as all you fellas said I went through it all again (twice) made sure it was all correctly fitted, and success it started, took it for a spin round the corner and it died on me :( Called up the RAA, said my Ignition Module has given up, so he's towed it back to my place for the time being while I try to get my hands on a new one! Can't really see how putting new leads on could have done this, but these things happen I guess :(

Does any one know best place to get my hands on a new Ignition module from, without paying heaps??

Thanks guys,

Mark.

DvS_Ls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS
hey mate my ss ignition module **** it self to got told they are common on the commodore 2 go theres couple on ebay going for $150 up to $350 but shop around im sure u got some good motor wreckers best ive found one was $100

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Hey guys, thanks for the advice, just an update, as all you fellas said I went through it all again (twice) made sure it was all correctly fitted, and success it started, took it for a spin round the corner and it died on me :( Called up the RAA, said my Ignition Module has given up, so he's towed it back to my place for the time being while I try to get my hands on a new one! Can't really see how putting new leads on could have done this, but these things happen I guess :(

Does any one know best place to get my hands on a new Ignition module from, without paying heaps??

Thanks guys,

Mark.

There heap on this subject (Ignition Module)

Any way if you want to check if the Ignition module is not working check for pulse at the ignition coil (Brown Wire) with a test light.
While cranking the car the test light should flicker on off if it is in working condition if there is no pulse the test light will do nothing the problem lies further back (Ignition module / Dizzy sensors) The pulse signal is Earth from the Ignition module

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Hey guys, yer thanks again for all the advice, seems the guys from the RAA got it wrong, its actually my Coil which has packed up, as i've got no time to put a new one in this wk and need my car asap, shes gone into the auto elec and getting done this morning :) Would have putting new lead on caused the coil to pack up?? Cause this is $180 I could have spent on Beer! haha

Cheers, Parbs.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
i hope you asked them to relocate the coil while they were at it

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
cost me around $70 when i replaced my coil, relocated it to :)

Such a bad design putting it right at the back of the engine where you cant get at it, heaps better on the fire wall :p