Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vacuum line atbottom of air inlet

HGK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks Immortality. I finally got the car to the auto electrician and got the CAS and wiring fixed so that was good. Still can only drive maybe 5km before it gets warm and stops and have to let it cool for an hour before can travel another maybe 3-4km (it has brand new coils sourced by the auto electrician). Now at the LPG mechanic. He said he blocked off that vacuum hose and that has fixed that. But seems now a problem with ECU and he said he would make it run on LPG only because the ECU problem won't let it run on petrol. He also said because the car is so old it could still backfire (recessed valves seals) and there's not much that can be done about that (its not worth taking the head off). But I think it will be ok. Now it could be that the DFI needs replacing. I did by a brand new Bosch DFI online but the auto electrician said he thought it might be faulty so he had an old one that he fitted. So I won't be buying too many components online in the future I don't think. I have my original Bosch DFI that I will drop off to him so I hope that works. I suppose there are other things that could need replacing, I don't know. Probably time to get another car, I don't know what, maybe another lpg commodore could be a good thing to get. Best of luck to all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In terms of DFI the only good ones new are now from Holden, the rest are junk. If you have a self-serve wrecker nearby grab one from a wreck and give it a go. You will likely find a SH OEM one will outlast anything available from online or the likes of Burson and Repco.

Unfortunately OEM DFI's are solely sold by Holden now and the price is well over $400 last time I enquired.

HGK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks losh1971. Holy sh*t !!!! Wreckers it is then.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
LPG backfire in the VS...generally alright until you forget it's on LPG and put your foot down hard lol

Attachments

• backfire.JPG
    backfire.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 57

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ouch :(

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
LPG backfire in the VS...generally alright until you forget it's on LPG and put your foot down hard lol
Faaark. That is the worst I have seen. Usually it just blows out the laminar flow honeycomb in the MAFS and cracks the airfilter box.

HGK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Did you repair the VS grey_hawk? I'd be interested to know, and how you fixed it if in fact you did. Got my car back from the mechanic. He says there's lots of things wrong with it. I can definitely see the same thing happening to mine as per your photo. I can't afford to get another car at the moment. The mechanic said don't bother buying a new MAF because I think he said something like the gas computer is stuffed. Anyway I might be able to get it going again for a little while.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I replaced the plenum cover because it was dead in the water with the crack in it.
I haven't fixed the backfire part of it as it's a daily at the moment, if I take it easy on the throttle it's all good.

The backfire only seems to happen if you put your foot down hard and suddenly.

I had a similar problem with the VR shutting down when warm, pulled into a garage to get a mechanic to look at it, as it was running still he just gave me a bottle of water to pour over CAS when it happened the next time.

Sure as hell drove round the corner and it stalled...poured water over CAS...nothing. Jiggled the wiring going into DFI and away it went.

Later I replaced the DFI and got rid of the problem but I'm still not sure if the DFI was dodgy or if it was the connector....
Anyway might be something to try next time it stalls.

I don't know how the car would run with a stuffed gas computer? Sounds like the mechanic is blaming a lot of things.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Also you haven't mentioned any codes, easy to try with a paper clip...

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I

I had a similar problem with the VR shutting down when warm, pulled into a garage to get a mechanic to look at it, as it was running still he just gave me a bottle of water to pour over CAS when it happened the next time.

Sure as hell drove round the corner and it stalled...poured water over CAS...nothing. Jiggled the wiring going into DFI and away it went.

Later I replaced the DFI and got rid of the problem but I'm still not sure if the DFI was dodgy or if it was the connector....
Have you inspected the connector closely? It could be one of the contacts is pushed back or enlarged.