Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB Diff compatibility

tomjd78

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 VB SLE 4.2L
There are options these days to beef up the small salisbury if you are willing to throw money at it.

could be an option as im finding it rather hard to source another diff without going the complete $4500 9 inch from the rod shop
your talking about beefing up the original thats in it now. what options would you be referring to

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Harrop, and a custom made group order that was engineered thru Terry Bosenjak to name a few...
Ringing the above or some major diff shops etc may point you in the right direction.

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
4 star? don't you mean 4 pinion?
That is what they were called 4 star pinions, oppose to 2.
The problem is parts for the 10 bolt nowadays.
It would not take much to cut down a ford housing set it all up and fit it to a commodore and 4 star are stronger than a 10 bolt and better than a stock 9 in.

tomjd78

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 VB SLE 4.2L
I have managed to score a VK V8 Borg Warner non LSD with 3.08 gears for only $600 locally. I`m getting ready to take it off the road and start some rust repairs. Cheers for the advice on the diffs though and I`ll look to do a Start to finish on my VB just not sure on whether to keep the Brock or go back to original SLE.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I have managed to score a VK V8 Borg Warner non LSD with 3.08 gears for only $600 locally. I`m getting ready to take it off the road and start some rust repairs. Cheers for the advice on the diffs though and I`ll look to do a Start to finish on my VB just not sure on whether to keep the Brock or go back to original SLE.
a what..?
a VK V8 BW diff?
no such thing exists... every VK V8 had a GMH large Salisbury fitted

if it is a Borg Warner V8 diff, it will be off a VL (or VN or VP)

tomjd78

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 VB SLE 4.2L
Yeah my bad i was thinking of a VK while trying to describe my Vl 28 spline diff 3.08 ratio 4pin not lsd for my VB SLE Brocky. Still a good score just looking for some other compatible gear options like the 3.23 or 3.45 if i can find some good 2nd hand options to save a few dollars. From what i have read some of the early fords had the same BW`s with those gears i mentioned. Continue on the journey

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Yeah my bad i was thinking of a VK while trying to describe my Vl 28 spline diff 3.08 ratio 4pin not lsd for my VB SLE Brocky. Still a good score just looking for some other compatible gear options like the 3.23 or 3.45 if i can find some good 2nd hand options to save a few dollars. From what i have read some of the early fords had the same BW`s with those gears i mentioned. Continue on the journey
.. don't forget
lots of Nissans had these BW diffs with a range of ratios :)