Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vb to vn

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I think it should, but the steering rack mounts are different I rekon.

tha goviner

Reaction score
if the cross member fits from vn to vb then why wouldnt it work lol anve to give it a try tail shaft would be the only problem i guess, lol the motor would probably work better with the electronic fuel pump, stearing rack is the same as i got my vh one in my vn lol

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
if the cross member fits from vn to vb then why wouldnt it work lol anve to give it a try tail shaft would be the only problem i guess, lol the motor would probably work better with the electronic fuel pump, stearing rack is the same as i got my vh one in my vn lol

Now heres an expert!!! Crossmember/K frame is beasically the same EXCEPT for the the steering rack mounting points. You need to use the correct rack with K-Frame. This has been covered many times in nearly EVERY engine conversion thread. You need to be careful fiddling around with rack positions and ankerman angles can be altered and cause bad steering issues. The main reason so run an alternate K-frame & rack is for exhaust clearance issues with VB-VL EFI 5L conversions. Also it is handy to make the whole engine conversion process easier changing the whole front assembly in one hit upgrading brakes, suspension the lot.

Also it has nothing to do with tailshaft lengths, depending on the engine he is running a mechanical pump could work just fine

cheers
Scott

UNDERCOVER HQ

HOT 202
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BERLINA 202
Fuel pump

I will be running a electric fuel pump when iam racing it. Do i need a vb to vk steering rack.

tha goviner

Reaction score
funny how my vn power stering rack is in my vh with a 202 in it with stock sub frame lol so vkberlina whats ya problem with me ay

micky69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ba XR6 5 speed/ VN Calais 308 twin turbo
I personally have just changed a Vk V8 crossmember into my Vn Calais and the vk steering rack does not line up with the steering column it's too tall.
and i also put the vn crossmember back into the vk and the steering rack is too short,,. so where did you get you vn power steering rack from? a vn? or did someone tell you its a vn one?
or maybe does my v8 rack is the problem i might need a six cylinder rack? i need help!!! if the steering rack locations are different then i guess the vn rack wont fit back into the vn with the vk member?
need info

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
funny how my vn power stering rack is in my vh with a 202 in it with stock sub frame lol so vkberlina whats ya problem with me ay
No problem with you just that your wrong

Staggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1, VK Wagon EFI 5.0L
I agree with vkberlina on this one, I have recently done this conversion and the vk and vn racks have different mount points and shafts, need to use a vl intermediate shaft to get the vk column to bolt to the vn rack.

Micky, the v6 & v8 racks have the same mounts and shafts, easiest option for you will be to get ahold of a vn v8 crossmember.