Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB with 304, stolen or not??

VB304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB 304
Hi all,

I've recently bought a VB SL with a 304 and t700 out of a VQ stato. The car hasn't been registered with the new engine combo so I want to make sure I don't get any nasty suprises when I eventually go to get the car rego'd.

How can I make sure the VIN, Chassis No (is this the one on the radiator support?) and engine number are all clear before I start sinking money into the old girl? I did a REVS check before I bought it but from memory I only entered the VIN Number and the ID tags are in the glove box so that's not really conclusive.

Also I know the injected 5L into VB-VK has been done a million times but do you need an engineers cert to get it blue slipped? I'm in NSW if it makes a difference...

Thanks in advance!!

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
dunno how you entered the vin number on a VB commodore, they don't have a VIN.

just ring up the RTA and ask about the engine number.

and depends how it was installed, if its properly done then generally you can get away with it in most states as its is well beyond the emissions requirements, if its a hack and shut job then you got no chance.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
dunno how you entered the vin number on a VB commodore, they don't have a VIN.

May I ask what the number is that is stamped on the radiator support panel near the compliance plate? It matches one of the compliance plates, providing it hasn't been changed. (changing them is illegal BTW)

From what I know, VIN numbers came compulsary on all vehicles around 1970 or 1971.....look forward to your response

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The chassis number is stamped on the body.

VIN is the long skinny tag, and it should have one.

The number stamped on the body matches the number on the Australian design rule tag (larger one left side on the car)...The long skinny tag has other numbers and letters on it, which is located just right of the centre line of the car.

The 3rd tag (2nd larger one, right side of the car, below the stamped number) has all the information it, which states that's the information to be used when speaking to GM. ie, the engine, transmission and axle details.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
No ****. The stamped number is the chassis number, which matches the ADR tag.

The long skinny tag is the VIN. The second half of which should match the body number on the paint/trim tag.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
You will need an engineer certificate if you are fitting the complete 304 to your car, you will also be required to run cats, disc brake rear end and exhaust to comply with the year of manufacture of the car the engine came from.
However.

If you were to install a red blocked 308 into your car you could even use all the original 304 internals (crank) and convert the red 308 to EFI you don't require cats and you can comply to the year of manufacture of your car (louder exhaust)

Its stupid but that's how it is. I went down this road many times.

cheers
Scott

VB304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB 304
Thanks for the responses fellas.
After a bit more investigating the number on the radiator support (AVB 020404S) matches one of the numbers on the big tag with all the ADR's on it so that's a bonus!

I will give the RTA a ring with my VU engine number and hopefully nothing suspect comes from that.

I had planned to do a brake upgrade and run a new exhaust with cats so that shouldn't be an issue.
The only other mod that I'm doing that may cause an issue is moving the battery to the boot but as long as I do it properly hopefully I can get away with it.

Cheers

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Batt in boot is fine. Make sure it's vented outside of car. I run a tube through my boot floor.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You will need an engineer certificate if you are fitting the complete 304 to your car, you will also be required to run cats, disc brake rear end and exhaust to comply with the year of manufacture of the car the engine came from.
However.

If you were to install a red blocked 308 into your car you could even use all the original 304 internals (crank) and convert the red 308 to EFI you don't require cats and you can comply to the year of manufacture of your car (louder exhaust)

Its stupid but that's how it is. I went down this road many times.

cheers
Scott

That doesn't fly if it's got ADR27a on the tag though. It technically needs an engineers cert regardless of what block it is if you're converting it to efi.