Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC Resto - 1JZ GTE - Lemon

Callum14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
Been a bit quiet and don't really have any progress, but now that I'm married I can make some progress.

Had the guy repairing the rust come out and take a look, all looks good and will hopefully have that started in the next few weeks.

I am however looking for the following panels / rust cuts if anyone has some for sale

- Bottom of A pillar / Sil
- Rear beaver panel
- Boot
- Bonnet
- Drivers side door

Think that's what I'm mostly after for now

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
It all takes time mate, I am waiting on body to be finished and engine is almost done.. as long as you chipping away at it you ll get there, my panel beater mate is really good, he just made all the body pieces himself no need to buy replacement panels, good luck keep us informed.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd see if beaver & pillar/sill sections are repairable or remake sections...probably end up paying good money for 2nd hand sections that aren't much better than what's already on car.

When boot floor comes out will be easy to repair flat sections of beaver...people want stupid coin because those sections NLA

Callum14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
I'd see if beaver & pillar/sill sections are repairable or remake sections...probably end up paying good money for 2nd hand sections that aren't much better than what's already on car.

When boot floor comes out will be easy to repair flat sections of beaver...people want stupid coin because those sections NLA

Yeah, I was speaking to the guy who's doing the repairs and he's repaired a few in the past by just using a piece of slat steel in the indented section. Not something you see once the rear bumper is on. Got quoted $250 for a cut and I passed on it.

Getting the lower A Pillar and another drivers door this weekend, so basically just the bonnet and boot remaining. Need to get approval from the minister of finance before buying NOS bonnet. :D

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
check rare spares for rust replacement panels they got heaps of repair panels weld straight in. ( sills cowl screen 1/4s guards ect.) they are cheap too.
try friends wreckers in VICTORIA for the boot lid and bonnet. ( most likely to have or can get.)
good luck with the beaver panel.. is hard to find a good one that has not been rusted out or stuffed when pulled off the car.

Callum14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
check rare spares for rust replacement panels they got heaps of repair panels weld straight in. ( sills cowl screen 1/4s guards ect.) they are cheap too.
try friends wreckers in VICTORIA for the boot lid and bonnet. ( most likely to have or can get.)
good luck with the beaver panel.. is hard to find a good one that has not been rusted out or stuffed when pulled off the car.

Thanks mate! Already got the cowl sils (check a few pages back), just chasing the stuff there's no repro's for.

Got a Lower A Pillar, however it too has cheese under the paint. Feeling like I flushed $250 down the toilet but that's rust repair I guess

227368245_229189575653308_2454212825525323801_n.jpg

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
Have you tried gumtree for parts and secondhand panels ( wrecks) as most home wreckers are down to the bare bones now and you might find what you need there? ( remember to get heaps of pics before you buy but.. is gumtree if you get what am saying as have seen wrecks on there.) but the cost of freighting is a killer.
try looking in Melbourne for beaver and good Apillars as that is where most of the good parts are and in WA.
good luck and hope you find what you need
PS... RING wreckers... DONT EMAIL in Melb&WA as if they have old commy parts it won't show on the net as stocked but they will check yards and you might get lucky as I often have. ( net search early holden & VB/VC com parts/wreckers in victoria & WA.)
happy hunting!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They made a song about that night...

Callum14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
Cheers 1978 I'll do some ringing around! Not the same ringing around that Fu Manchu is doing of course

Old mate who's putting in the hard work for me was showing me some options for the beaver panel. It's not the worst (just full of lots of little holes) but was also thinking of getting a bead roller and giving it a crack myself.