Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM 3.7 Diff

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
:rofl:

Some cars will need recalibration while others won't?? What a load of rubbish mate.

The ONLY cars that would NOT need claibrations are cars that get the speedo pulse from the wheel. Last I recall the VE's do not use the signals from the wheels for the speedo.

I've got good news and bad news for you mate.

Bad news; You are so wrong it makes baby jesus cry. Going from a 2.92 final ratio to a 3.45 will result in the speedo being out by about 15kmph at 100kmph.

Good news; if you say your speedo is showing the correct speed, this means that whoever put your diff in recalibrated your speedo already.

ANY change in final drive ratio WILL require speedo re-calibration. Luckily this is a pretty simple process and can be done at Holden for ratio's that are compatible with that model (not sure why but when I tried to get them to reprogram my VX for a 3.73 diff the said they couldn't go it because it didn't come with that model) and any tuner for any ratio you throw in there.
You can't argue it with me, I know I'm right as I did the speedo comparison myself. My diff was changed by a local mechanic that has no equipment to recalibrate the speedo :)

Also, I know 3 mechanics and none of them believed me that the speedo didn't change, including the one who fitted the diff. I couldn't explain why so they just thought I was talking ****...

After some reading to get some proof, it seems some models use the front wheel sensors (yes, it has wheel sensors, they're even in the Pontiac G8 service manuals).
Link
Link
Link

If you still don't believe me, do some research for yourself.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
You can't argue it with me, I know I'm right as I did the speedo comparison myself. My diff was changed by a local mechanic that has no equipment to recalibrate the speedo :)

Also, I know 3 mechanics and none of them believed me that the speedo didn't change, including the one who fitted the diff. I couldn't explain why so they just thought I was talking ****...

After some reading to get some proof, it seems some models use the front wheel sensors (yes, it has wheel sensors, they're even in the Pontiac G8 service manuals).
Link
Link
Link

If you still don't believe me, do some research for yourself.

Hey mate

What year is urs? mine was built mid 08, do you think id have them front wheel sensors?

When i first got the ute, i had 2 speed/wheel sensors or something fail one front one back, set off the abs, trac control ect ect, would that be them u reakon?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Honestly, I have no idea how your car senses the speed. I assume they all have 4 wheel sensors for the ESP, but I don't know why certain models would use it for speed sensing and others wouldn't. It doesn't make sense but I know mine doesn't use the transmission sensor and other people claim theirs does, so there must be a difference over different models.

I have an 06 Calais.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Honestly, I have no idea how your car senses the speed. I assume they all have 4 wheel sensors for the ESP, but I don't know why certain models would use it for speed sensing and others wouldn't. It doesn't make sense but I know mine doesn't use the transmission sensor and other people claim theirs does, so there must be a difference over different models.

I have an 06 Calais.

Ohh ok, its not a big deal as mines remote tuned oztrack can just send me a update and ill flash it on all under 5mins lol, will be intersting to see if mine goes out or not

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
3.7s go way harder than the standard 3.45, feel so much better!
when I got mine done I was told the speedo reads from the wheels so it will be fine, but the cruise control will be off, so either way you should probably get it done, although I know someone who installed one themselves and didnt touch the tune and there was no problems

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
:rofl:

Some cars will need recalibration while others won't?? What a load of rubbish mate.

The ONLY cars that would NOT need claibrations are cars that get the speedo pulse from the wheel. Last I recall the VE's do not use the signals from the wheels for the speedo.

I've got good news and bad news for you mate.

Bad news; You are so wrong it makes baby jesus cry. Going from a 2.92 final ratio to a 3.45 will result in the speedo being out by about 15kmph at 100kmph.

Good news; if you say your speedo is showing the correct speed, this means that whoever put your diff in recalibrated your speedo already.

ANY change in final drive ratio WILL require speedo re-calibration. Luckily this is a pretty simple process and can be done at Holden for ratio's that are compatible with that model (not sure why but when I tried to get them to reprogram my VX for a 3.73 diff the said they couldn't go it because it didn't come with that model) and any tuner for any ratio you throw in there.
Guess what mate, your wrong and stonex is right. Done this myself on my wagon (09 model manual) went from 3.45 to 3.7 did complete swap out of diff did work myself and speedo still 2km/h fast as it was with old diff ve's have wheel sensors i'm told

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Guess what mate, your wrong and stonex is right. Done this myself on my wagon (09 model manual) went from 3.45 to 3.7 did complete swap out of diff did work myself and speedo still 2km/h fast as it was with old diff ve's have wheel sensors i'm told

Correct, replacing diff in the ve's doesnt change the speedo, I have done the upgrade in my sv6 from 2.9s to 3.45 myself (no calibration) and the speedo didnt even change. So they definately take the speed from the wheels.

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
Thats what i did, bought new diff from holmart, did the changeover myself (not too bad a job) and sold off orignal diff to a auto owner (stonex!) just saves having to muck around with crown wheel and pinion's and getting them setup/fitted plus you'll have a complete 3.45 LSD to sell. RPM is 1700 @102km/h (100km/h gps) with 3.7's in 6th gear standard SSV wheels and tyre size (19's). VE's are fitted with m12 gearbox standard as fitted to vz monaro and hsv's so they have shorter gear ratio to a vz ss. I read somewere that fitting 3.7's to a ve manual was around the same as 3.9-4.11's in a vz.
Cheers.

Last edited: