Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM cam selection,need some advice

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
I had a VCM21 fitted to my 08 SSV ute a few weeks back. Final tune is complete and netted me 310wrkw (up from 220rwkw on the same dyno). For 220kw I had CHE OTR, CHE secret locked Tune and XF 3" catback.

For 310rwkw - full pacie system, hi flow cats, VCM21 and related gear (pushrods, timing chain, replaced oil/water pumps and a bunch of other stuff) and AutoTech (not locked) tune.

Have been pretty happy, I think there is some fine tuning required still.

Final tune made cold starts better (but not perfect as before with OEM Cam), is pretty good at low/carpark type speeds.
About the only issue I need to query is it falls into a hole every now and then between gear changes and for the first time I revved the car above 5000RPM - cam specs say it makes power between 2000-6000 however mine hit a wall at approx 5500 (felt like I was hitting the rev limiter) I'm wondering if it's getting enough fuel now......

Have to drive it for a few more days and report back to tuner........
whats the idle like? i presume yours is a manual? i'm thinking about this one for my auto ute as well

Last edited:

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Thanks for the replys guys.it looks like the vcm21, anyway i will let you know what i get a how it turns out.

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
Re the vcm 21 / what was the cost? I have vcm otr, headers, vcm 3 inch etc and have 267 rwkw _ just wondering whether the extra kw is worth the $

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Man all up it cost me about $4500 to get my new cam pack and clutch fitted, and its the best money i spent, goes so much better and you get that tough cammed v8 idle

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
Cheers - i have an auto - does that need anything else as u say u had clutch done - the cammed sound is great

Cunningstunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
By falling into a hole do u mean once the revs drop too low it labours when changing gears? ive noticed that a tiny bit on mine but if i go that bit faster before changing gears it keeps it about 1500 and doesnt really labour, not sure about the rpm thing tho my redline is now 7000 and max power at 6500 - 6600

Nah for me it's like its hitting the rev limiter - it's a bit weird. Most likely a tuning issue but will get some more done nxt week

whats the idle like? i presume yours is a manual? i'm thinking about this one for my auto ute as well

Idle is a little lumpy but not that noticeable, cold starts are awesome though :) Mine is a manual however

Basically I wanted the bulk of my power between 1800-5000rpm as I rarely go above 4000rpm normal driving. Hey I race bikes so a
145kw GSXR1000 makes most cars feel pretty tame so I just don't bother flogging my car but did want that bit extra power, a decent lumpy V8 idle without chewing heaps of fuel, losing driveability etc.

The VCM21 (matched with full pacie system) is certainly putting a smile on my dial big time :D

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Nah for me it's like its hitting the rev limiter - it's a bit weird. Most likely a tuning issue but will get some more done nxt week

Idle is a little lumpy but not that noticeable, cold starts are awesome though :) Mine is a manual however

Basically I wanted the bulk of my power between 1800-5000rpm as I rarely go above 4000rpm normal driving. Hey I race bikes so a
145kw GSXR1000 makes most cars feel pretty tame so I just don't bother flogging my car but did want that bit extra power, a decent lumpy V8 idle without chewing heaps of fuel, losing driveability etc.

The VCM21 (matched with full pacie system) is certainly putting a smile on my dial big time :D

Ohh ok when a shop up here did a **** as job with my tune mine would hit a limiter kinda thing at 4500 - 5000 too (this was before cam) getting another tuner to look at my tune told me they had only tuned from 85% throttle and up (still did a crap job of that too) so i reakon it was something to do with that, wiped there crap and got the oztrack tune and it went away, so id say urs mite just be something in the tune too

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Well i have made my mind up.I'am getting the VCM cam package 2 with the VCM21 camshaft.Oh and a set of 3.7 Diff Gears ,because bladerunner made me:rofl2:

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
Cool! Post ye thoughts when you get it all done cos I'm interested in doing same

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
.Oh and a set of 3.7 Diff Gears ,because bladerunner made me:rofl2:
yeah blame me if you think it'll help :spot on:. 3.7"s seem to be ideal for the street, 3.9"s are also good but have a tendency to whine like buggery (ve diffs that is) a mate runs pretty much what your/ we are getting. His ute goes like a scalded cat off the mark (manual too). Just gotta wait for the play money to build up myself lol.

Last edited: