Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM OTR Issues

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Howdy,

Just took off my VCM OTR intake yesterday to clean the filter and found my MAF mesh was covered in bugs and the throttle body was absolutely covered in black residue.

It was then apparent on refitting it that there is a large gap between the filter and the intake moulding.

A quick search lead me to a thread on HSV forum regarding the same topic, with 53 pages of posts.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Also how bad is it likely to be for the motor?

I have contacted VCM regarding this and am waiting a response.

Cheers

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
I too have read various posts on another forum and I think you'll find the outcome is that VCM have been doing a recall on the faulty OTR intakes. Regards Paul

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Not that it's a direct help to your situation, but I have the V2 of VCM's intake and have removed it twice in a couple of thousand km's to check for leakage. Mesh and MAF are clean as a whistle. There's about 10 clips on the new one holding the filter in place and no metal bracket anymore also the plastic feels stronger and is definitely stiffer.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not that it's a direct help to your situation, but I have the V2 of VCM's intake and have removed it twice in a couple of thousand km's to check for leakage. Mesh and MAF are clean as a whistle. There's about 10 clips on the new one holding the filter in place and no metal bracket anymore also the plastic feels stronger and is definitely stiffer.

Great, I'm sure they'll change it for me.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Howdy,

Just took off my VCM OTR intake yesterday to clean the filter and found my MAF mesh was covered in bugs and the throttle body was absolutely covered in black residue.

It was then apparent on refitting it that there is a large gap between the filter and the intake moulding.

A quick search lead me to a thread on HSV forum regarding the same topic, with 53 pages of posts.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Also how bad is it likely to be for the motor?

I have contacted VCM regarding this and am waiting a response.

Cheers

Hmmm can't say i have had this issue with mine yet, but im glad i kept my MAF because at least the MAF mesh will stop any bugs from going directly into your engine as opposed to MAFLESS.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Update:

They are sending me the new housing for the intake, pleased with that outcome.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Do you have to have purchased the intake directly from VCM for them to send a replacement? I bought mine through tuff car parts on ebay. Im a bit worried about mine now.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yuuup its been a bit of a common issue. Word is theyre replacing them with the new Series 2 intakes pretty much free of charge.

Im waiting on mine.

Yes they asked me this morning for images of the intake housing, the gap created by the design flaw and the invoice. They have sent one out to me today for free, it's essentially a product withdrawal.

Do you have to have purchased the intake directly from VCM for them to send a replacement? I bought mine through tuff car parts on ebay. Im a bit worried about mine now.

No, I did need to provide an invoice so just sent them an image of the receipt from C&A Autofashion for my work done that had on it 'VCM OTR MAF'.

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I've been thinking of getting OTR - is there much induction noise from them? I had one on a WRX a few years ago, sounded like a vacuum cleaner sucking in air ..