Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM OTR Issues

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
I've been thinking of getting OTR - is there much induction noise from them? I had one on a WRX a few years ago, sounded like a vacuum cleaner sucking in air ..

Yes you can certainly hear it. It sounds absolutely nothing like a vacuum though, nor did the CAI I had on my 92 Liberty RS Turbo with an EJ257.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
FYI, bugs won't hurt the engine if they get sucked in. A bug V the combustion process? My money is on the engine every time. Sand, rocks and other debris would be more of a concern.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
@vk2him Doesn't make much noise just cruising around, just a slight suction sound. You will certainly hear it at WOT though.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
FYI, bugs won't hurt the engine if they get sucked in. A bug V the combustion process? My money is on the engine every time. Sand, rocks and other debris would be more of a concern.

Thanks NAAF, the answer I was looking for.

I don't believe I have had any more solid debris enter as Holden just did the 30,000k service after having the OTR on for over 10,000ks and said nothing. Given the mods and tune voiding most of my warranty I'm sure they would have taken any opportunity to try and milk some coin if they found even the slightest problem.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Do you have to have purchased the intake directly from VCM for them to send a replacement? I bought mine through tuff car parts on ebay. Im a bit worried about mine now.

Mine was from Vic Performance Parts. Was fine.

Agreed. Depends how big the gap gets. Some people have shown pics and it can get fairly large. Large enough for stray rocks bouncing etc.

As for induction noise. I only notice mine when turning the car off and you can hear the suck. Otherwise, exhaust noise is far far far louder.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
My gap is definately big enough for a rock up to 10mm to get in, it's huge! What exhaust do you run again Grennan?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Thanks NAAF, the answer I was looking for.

I don't believe I have had any more solid debris enter as Holden just did the 30,000k service after having the OTR on for over 10,000ks and said nothing. Given the mods and tune voiding most of my warranty I'm sure they would have taken any opportunity to try and milk some coin if they found even the slightest problem.

They wouldnt know anyway. The only thing theyd be able to tell you is there was dirt around the intake (if they even bothered to take it off, being a OTR im tipping they wouldnt have even looked at it unless you sat there and watched them). They certainly wouldnt tell you untill your piston/lifter/camshaft had cooked itself. Its not as if general servicing would come under warranty and typically thats the first years job and they sure as #### wouldnt know.

Bugs/small particles of dirt. Meh who cares.

Small rock/bouncing debris such as small screw heads etc. Sure, 1 in 100000 chance of it magically getting in there, but its a chance. Dirt etc may make it run a bit rough depending on the time it takes to build up around the intake. Id be mostly concerned about hitting a large puddle and a lot of water getting sucked up directly into the hole. End of the day. VCM acted in regards to reputation. Im sure youve seen how perdantic people get about absolutely everything no matter the actual chances of something going wrong.

Im running a Manta Twin 2 1/2 with 1 7/8 headers. Even just crusing around town, the exhaust isnt loud but certainly overshadows the intake.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh ok I thought debris would have been visible in the oil when they dropped it or in the oil filter. My car was running a bit **** but is definately much better since the service and cleaning the panel filter and TB.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Oh ok I thought debris would have been visible in the oil when they dropped it or in the oil filter. My car was running a bit **** but is definately much better since the service and cleaning the panel filter and TB.

Most Holden dealers (and worshops in general) the oil goes directly into a large drum.

30080.jpg

Unless its in there for a warranty issue that could be caused by missing a service or using the incorrect oil, its collected in a communal drum and they barely get a chance to look at it.

Unless you went through and filtered it, you wouldnt see any debris anyway.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Anything that goes in through the intake will either get burnt, or spat out the exhaust. Unless it's large enough to do damage to the top of the piston. I did an inlet manifold gasket on a Falcon engine a while ago and some gasket material fell down into the intake ports, once it was finished and put back together it ran rough for a couple of seconds as some probably got stuck in the intake valve. Then afterwards I found a bit of burnt gasket at the back wall of the shed where it shot out the exhaust.