Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2009 Not Starting Nice When Hot

Nightfox187

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6
Hey all

I have a 2009 VE SV6 with 160***ks been well looked after oil change every 5k and in the shop every 10k

So my problem is she start ok when cold or sitting longer then 4ish hours but when she is warm is start but it like it not getting Fuel/Air or something it start just it is not happy. it revs really low like 300ish and like the engine is running backwards making a very weird clunky sound for about 1sec or 2 then it is ok again and drives fine. it is hard to explain what is going on if anyone know or has the same problem please help me :/

I just order a RYCO Z888 VE fuel filter/pump to see if it is that.

Gtx2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss thunder
Try looking into a coolant temp sensor if your fans are acting wierd aswell

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hey all

I have a 2009 VE SV6 with 160***ks been well looked after oil change every 5k and in the shop every 10k

So my problem is she start ok when cold or sitting longer then 4ish hours but when she is warm is start but it like it not getting Fuel/Air or something it start just it is not happy. it revs really low like 300ish and like the engine is running backwards making a very weird clunky sound for about 1sec or 2 then it is ok again and drives fine. it is hard to explain what is going on if anyone know or has the same problem please help me :/

sounds like fuel issue like vapour lock, mine at 155K(same servicing as you) sometimes cranks a bit more before firing but runs great.

When were plugs changed?

Nightfox187

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6
i change the plugs about 10k ago :) i was thinking fuel as well

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Hey all

you have to remove the tank to fit this

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Unlikely to be fuel pump if it starts ok when cold.
Does it blow any smoke when it starts rough?

Gtx2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss thunder
Try letting it sit for 4ish hours as u say so cold start should be fine the turn off say a minute after then start again so two cold starts. What happens. Did have exact same problem but different ute took me ages to pin it down coolant temp sensor does some how control air fuel

Do u need to floor it to start it when hot and backfires once it cranks

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Try letting it sit for 4ish hours as u say so cold start should be fine the turn off say a minute after then start again so two cold starts. What happens. Did have exact same problem but different ute took me ages to pin it down coolant temp sensor does some how control air fuel

Do u need to floor it to start it when hot and backfires once it cranks

Coolant sensor sounds reasonable, but I would think if there is no change in coolant temp after a while, that you should get check engine light and some codes.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Just throwing parts at it , and hoping you will stumble on the cause, is not the way to go.

You have not mentioned if you get a check engine light displaying on the dash display at any stage.

Putting in a new fuel pump will almost certainly not solve the problem you have described and it is a hassle to do because to fit the in-tank pump unit requires the fuel tank to be removed from the car as another poster advised above. By all means have a new pump fitted but, given the symptoms you have described, you don't appear to have a faulty or weak fuel pump.

You need to get the car to a mechanic and have him check it out with a scan tool. The problem you described is probably generating a fault code or codes and this should be stored in the system and can be retrieved. If not stored then, given the symptoms, some fault code should nonetheless show up when starting the engine when hot if it performs as you say it does. Then you can begin to trace the source of the problem. I would also be having a look at the short and long term trim fuel trim readings (again with the scan tool) and see what is going on with your engine.

From your description it sounds like on a hot start the computer is getting a false reading from some source and too little fuel is being delivered, the engine just barely starts and barely runs on a very lean air/fuel mix for a few seconds, and then it apparently corrects and the engine appears to be running normally again. Anyhow get a professional to check it out . It is possibly going to be something straight forward to rectify if you have a competent guy doing the diagnosis.