Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve 2009 series 1 - engine light illumination upon stalling

SV6SLAVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 auto
Apologies in advance- im an owner that has never before owned a car with more then 4 cylinders (yes im a girl)

ok guys quick question - 2 days ago i stalled the atomic beast, it was in reverse and hand brake was on. Problem that i posed - the engine light came on almost immeditaly - it came up with a lil message - check engine in the electronic dash also. Now today I go to move it out of garage to allow the mechanic to gain access to it (had appointment booked but cancelled) - now the light has turned it self off- any idea about these sensors and could it have been that i just ''jolted'' my poor beast ? Please note prior to booking appointment i checked all fluids and wiring etc - all were within acceptable limits and there is no loss of power or noises out of the ordinary comming out of this green beast. Any thoughts or things that i should possibly be on the look out for ?

It has not been serviced at holden but rather at a small mechanic all its life but has been fully serviced up until now where the last service is approx 1000 kms over (46000 kms on clock)- could i need an update on computer also - overdue ????

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Take it to an auto electrician. Get them .tp scan the fault codes and clear them that will tell you what the fault was. That way holden don't get involved and charge you a fortune. I did this exact thing when I fitted my cold air intake the engine light came on went to auto electrician to confirm that it was in fact what was causing the issue and it was. So that's your best bet get the code clear and see how it goes :)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

SV6SLAVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 auto
Thank you - i thought that is what i may have to do - just double checking more so - bro has same issue with his ve ute too - holden tried to tell him he needed to replace sensors amoung other things (his car was only 4 months old) - and told him it was all out of warranty covered areas - lil bit of hot air and firm words seen them running rings around him trying to change his mind about going above their heads and taking issue further. Lol - some holden dealerships must think that their 'product' owners are dumb in regards to their rights. Off to the auto lecky....cheers again - ill keep ya updated.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
It sounds like you are mechanically minded (I.E. It sounds like it is worth while for yourself to purchase a OBD Code reader).
At the very least your mechanic should have one.
These things cost around $20 to $30 on fleabay, so its not like something that would break the bank if you purchased one.
In terms of the information and peace of mind these things provide when something does go wrong is fantastic.

To give you an idea, without one, when the check engine light comes on, it could be one of (or a combination of) over 800 simple to complicated problems.
The diagnostic trouble codes the reader will report aid in locating the problem (or at the very narrowing it down to one or two sensors).

Without a DTC code to check, when the Check Engine light comes one, you are just stabbing in the dark as to what the problem is.
Hope this helps.