Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE AFM owners Question

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Well my 2 cents worth is it ain't worth the drama. Check this thread http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...9970-afm-l76-lifter-rattle-when-cold-wtf.html I bought the car with AFM as i wanted a v8 and some economy, what i have is a v8 petrol engine which sounds like a v8 diesel. I've heard the same things re: remove AFM and do a tune and the fuel consumption is better, i reckon i will eventually go that way with mine.

Hallzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
We got an auto because the missus has a bung left knee, so..........on the odd occasion she wants to drive it, she can, pain free. Yeah AFM is a bit of a wank but what are ya gonna do.

AFM

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V & CAPRICE V8's
guys so L77 dont have AFM ?
cuz i noticed when i logg into enginering mode i saw active fuel managment screen and when i put my foot down i see half active>
is this ok ?
i dont care about fuel saving

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
the L77 engine is the standard engine Holden now use regardless if it's auto or man. it comes standard with afm but is not activated with the manual. they no longer offer the L98.when you say half active you mean the screen displays 4cyl mode when activated. on ser1 it actually says 4cyl or 8cyl when it's activated.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I've had auto's since my teenage drag racing days, I wouldn't even consider a manual for my daily traffic grind. I like driving a manual's but not in traffic!
I too didn't consider the AFM when I wanted an SS and to tell you the truth, I didn't even know exactly what it did. If the dealer said, here's two cars, one with AFM and one without AFM for the same price, I probably would have chosen the AFM car for the extra equipment.

Some view AFM as just something else to go wrong and since I have read up on exactly how it works, I tend to agree. Its good to know you can remove the components and disable the brain without any complications.

What I don't understand is to why the AFM engines are rated 10 kw less?

This said, my AFM has given no trouble (early days) and the motor is quiet. Fuel usage does seem to vary a bit between tanks. My last tank had an average of 14.8 lt/100 which got me 445 k's from 64 ltr's.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
We bought the auto SS sportwagon due to needing legroom and to tow our 18' caravan and I couldn't be happier. Had thought of the SV6 but a little research suggested the V8 would be more fuel efficient and obviously do it easier. We've just crossed the Nullabor and down to Esperence at the same time doing an average of the last 750 k's bowser to bowser where the big lazy devil averaged 15.4 L/100 km. We've done over 5000 k's so far on this trip and the worst fuel average was 17.3 L/100 with a savage crosswind between Whyalla and Port Lincoln. All the time towing at 90 kph and 1450 1500 revs. Fortunately no headwinds yet!

This is all grandpa stuff of course but it does show what this motor and vehicle is capable of. Wouldn't change it for anything and they better still be around when we buy another!

dc4hna.jpg

Last edited: