Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE aftermarket head unit

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute 22's lowered hardlid
i tried installing one on the weekend, it is possible. but it looked ugly and stuck out to far. arraprently clarion is designing something to get rid of the old unit and make it so you can put an aftermarket double din in place..

the black pipe behind the dash runs through your centre console. it is for the rear a/c but the ute doesnt have rear a/c but when i took mine apart the air still travelled through the black duct. so when you disconnect the black duct you have to block it so that air doesnt come through it anymore. whatever you block it with, make it good cause even when the a/c isnt on air comes through it.. i know all this cause i did it on the weekend and tried to sort it all out..

to take the centre console out. pry the black top covering off around the power window switch to the traction control switch. its just got clips on it and lifts straight off. and then just start unscrewing all the plastic pieces. use this as your starting point. you will work it all out from there.

hope this helps mate. i have 2 photos of this ill try and get them off my phone

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
the reason why i didnt go through with it is that it looked really ugly and odd. and would rather a double din when they figure out how to do it. to wire it just work out all your power, accesories, and speaker wired and judt piggy back them to your new headunit. so that your factory one will always still work.

sorry bout the big pictures, dont know how to resize. pictures are of everything stripped out to install the dvd headunit..

a0fms9.jpg

359gx0y.jpg

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
how long did it take you? Do you have a picture of which HU u were using? this one didn't look that bad:
63392d1241003414-custom-ve-dvd-player-install-p4290003.jpg

BTW It's been 3years and they still haven't brought out any facia plates for the VE =[ not even Metra Kits...

dakman

Reaction score
Members Ride
it was a clarion dvd headunit. 1 of the latest ones. it looked like that exacly in.. but stuck out a little bit more. if you saw it from a side angle you would see the difference.

i hope they bring out a facia kit soon!!!

punjabi_dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
ute ss
Just diggin such an old thread to find out if anyone has got any pictures of their set up with aftermarket head unit.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
alpine have 2 types, about $1100 and $2700, installed with their units, you can just buy the facia kit (includes ac controls for about $500)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Wagon
alpine are the only ones doing anything, 1st option has touch buttons space for dd radio, option 2 touch screen with alpine 8" screen not sold seperatly both are only for series 1 ve prices are about right from MYVESSV8

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
No it doesn't need to be an Alpine h/u. And yes you can buy it separately. Trust me, I've done it. They are specifically designed for Alpine, Pioneer or Clarion. Pretty sure they'll work on just about any, but not sure the steering wheel inputs work on anything other than those tested brands. Here's my install from about a year ago. Just modifying again to get rid of the atari gauges, hopefully have another new picture tonight.
18092011142sm.jpg