Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Battery Drain Requires Centre Console Replacement?

ESM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina MY08
Hello,

I have a 2007 VE Berlina that came with a factory standard 10 stacker cd player by Blaupunkt built into the centre console. Over the last couple of weeks my battery has been going flat and the RACV told me there is a 2-3 amp drain on the battery with the car switched off (they aim for about 0.6). The holden dealer I took it to say it's the 10 stacker cd player not switching off and that the only way to fix it is to replace the centre console with a reconditioned one (new ones are not available anymore). I asked them if they could just unplug the cd player and after about an hour or so they called me and told me I could come and pick up the car. On driving home, I realised they had unplugged the whole centre console so I have no cooling/heating/front or rear demisters (very hard to drive in winter!)/hazard lights etc. They want me to wait several days to get a quote on a reconditioned centre console.

Several people have asked me why they didn't just unplug the fuse to the cd player. I can live without the cd player if that is the problem.

Does anybody have any ideas as to a simpler fix than replacing the whole console? Anybody had a similar problem with their 2007 Berlina? I've heard about updating the software for VE battery drain issues but I'd assume the Holden Dealer would know about that? The current solution seems a bit drastic to me.

Cheers,

ESM.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. get another opinion from another dealer

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
if there is no fuse, wonder if you could wire the main console to the same source as the the lighter? I read on here that turns off with the ignition ?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I have a drain issue from time to time, but I've got the standard radio.
I noticed that disconnecting the battery for half an hour would fix the issue, at least for a couple of months. In my case, it looks more like an ECU bug that gets fixed once you reset it. Worth a try ;-)

An easy way to test if it worked without having to measure the drain with a multimeter is simply to take note of the battery charge level in the engineering mode in the evening and check it back on the next morning. If you don't lose 20% of charge overnight anymore, it's fixed!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Is there really a 10 stacker CD option in the Berlina? I've got the 6 stacker and never had a battery drain issue with the car.
What did they unplug any idea?

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
I would have though a simple DIY check involving a meter hooked up on the battery, then pulling fuses 1 by 1 to see what is causing the drain?
I would have driven straight back to dealer to reconnect the hvac systems, very dangerous to go without. Sounds like a useless service dept!