Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Blues

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Anticipate? You said the car came with the problems and a list of what they were. Read your own post buddy! If it didn't come with any sort of list or any problems, why say it did?

Groan - clearly "came with" was meant like a feature.

"i got the car and all the problems for free". Does that help you understand it?

Why don't you consider the bigger picture here (poor product, poor supplier handing of faults) than the interpretation of individual words?

I don't really care if the Senator was based on the Calais or Calais V. You have totally missed the point.

The point CLEARLY was, I could've spent $55k on a "Calais V" and got pretty much the same car (minus 37kW and some electric suspension).

I am well aware I didn't buy an actual Calais V for $85,000. As I mentioned above, I would've thought you were able to identify that as a tongue in cheek comment about my car effectively being a tarted up Calais.

As per usual, you have completely ignored the crux of the post (being the supplier's attitude to fixing the problem) and focussed on your interpretation of individual words. Good work. You've wasted around 350Kbytes of my monthly download quota.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I could've spent $55k on a "Calais V" and got pretty much the same car (minus 37kW and some electric suspension).

A V8 Calais V is actually around $60,600 plus on roads. You say you spent $85,000 on the Senator yet they retail for around $79,000 so you have clearly factored in on road costs when you say $85,000. With that in mind, you wouldn't get much change from $65,000 for a Calais V.

As for it being pretty much the same, wrong!

Significant differences (that I can think of without actually researching it) between the Calais V and HSV Senator:

Engine
LSD
LSD Ratios
Extractors
Exhaust
Tune
Suspension
Brakes (a set of decent brakes, similar to that of the HSV, for a Calais V would cost around $6,000)
Seats
Interior Trim
Steering Wheel
Rims
Tyres
HSV Body Styling
LED Tail Lights
Dual Driving/Fog lights
Pedals

So if we agree that a Calais V would have cost $65,000 and you spent $85,000 then that's a difference of $20,000 which anyone should easily be able to see when they look at my abreviated list. I'm sure there's things I've missed.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
I definitely wouldn't pay $20k for the list above again!

FPV 4 T

myspace.com/attakarrak
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
2008 VE HSV Clubsport R8.
I've had the following issues with my VE Senator

- Right side passenger door speaker loose, causing vibrations
- Unresponsive centre LCD screen/buttons. Have to restart the car to resolve
- Software upgrade has caused delay on automatic headlights
- Magnetic ride control needs constant recalibration otherwise the suspension knocks
- Drivers seat was loose
- Drivers power window faulty mechanism
- Windscreen wiper motor burnt out (in torrential rain, was nearly in a serious accident, could not see a thing)
- Sunroof rattles (metal clunking sounds)
- Transmission becomes stuck in "limp home mode" randomly
- Transmission slips through gears, is all over the place
- A/C Recirculate button has little effect.
- "Flat Battery Problem" - known issue with rear entertainment system drawing 2A while ignition is off.

I've also found Holden/HSV apalling to deal with. The after service/support is non existent. After almost 6 months of sending letters of complaint my issues have finally started to become resolved.

On the upside though, they gave me a $500 service voucher and a cheap chinese limited edition wristwatch.

Bottom line, I would never buy one of these again. I could've spent half the money and bought the same car with different badges. Big mistake & burned big time.

Tommo.

Mate in here you said you had a software upgrade??? where did you go to get that? I asked my dealer and they were like "ohh nah there is none and we can't do it anyway.." so wtf!!! my esp keeps not working properly and my LCD/ Tachos glitch sometimes... could be software problem???

any info would be good, Cheers.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
What to check before handing over the cheque

Very depressing news reading all of these problems with the VE Commodore.

I'm taking delivery of a 60th Edition Commodore in mid May 2008 and was wondering if a lot of the issues mentioned in this thread would have been fixed by GMH.

Should I check all of these issues before handing over the cheque for the new car or are there other issues that I should be aware of?:whistling

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Mate there's not a great deal you can do.

ALL manufacturers have cars that have problems. It's the minority. I have owned two VEs and only 2 minor warranty issues with each of them.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Mate in here you said you had a software upgrade??? where did you go to get that? I asked my dealer and they were like "ohh nah there is none and we can't do it anyway.." so wtf!!! my esp keeps not working properly and my LCD/ Tachos glitch sometimes... could be software problem???

any info would be good, Cheers.

A work mate of mine has a 2006 Calais and it had a few electrical problems. He said it was all fixed with a software upgrade from the local Holden dealer free of charge. I'd be looking into that.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Mate there's not a great deal you can do.

ALL manufacturers have cars that have problems. It's the minority. I have owned two VEs and only 2 minor warranty issues with each of them.

Had a new VN in 1990, lots of problems; :cry:even had the heads off in the first 6 months, all the piston faces had dents and chips as if someone had put a piece of metal in each cylinder. Dealer wouldn't fix it and to this day I never found out what caused the damage. Oil leaks, which everyone knows about for the VN; leaking tail lights etc etc.

The car (VN) was stolen in 97 and I've had a VL Sedan ever since.

The VL's been a reasonably good car apart from the usual probs but she's getting on in age.

I really hope this new VE is going to be a beauty as I've saved my guts out to get a new car and was wrapped when I found out about the 60th Edition VE Sedan. Hopefully I might have it before the "forum trip up to Bathurst":D

Anyway, as usual I'm off track a bit; I'll cut and paste all of the problems in this thread and hopefully I will be able to give the forum some positive feedback. Thanks:thumbsup:

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
Very depressing news reading all of these problems with the VE Commodore.

I'm taking delivery of a 60th Edition Commodore in mid May 2008 and was wondering if a lot of the issues mentioned in this thread would have been fixed by GMH.

Should I check all of these issues before handing over the cheque for the new car or are there other issues that I should be aware of?:whistling

you should have no problems, i have a 2008 VE and have had not issues as yet, most of the problems are atributed to software issues that have been rectified with upgrades, and a few to parts that are outsourced to other manufacturers that weren't up to scratch and are now rectified, and the main problem is where the battery wasnt fully charged from dealership.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
you should have no problems, i have a 2008 VE and have had not issues as yet, most of the problems are atributed to software issues that have been rectified with upgrades, and a few to parts that are outsourced to other manufacturers that weren't up to scratch and are now rectified, and the main problem is where the battery wasnt fully charged from dealership.

No worries:thumbsup:
Said to the misses, when we pick the car up we'll go for a good long drive to see how she (the car) goes; that should charge the battery up good and proper.

Took an Omega for a test drive and was really impressed.:D Not saying that I haven't enjoyed my VL manual, it's a good car but the VE was a damn pleasure to drive; mind you the salesman got a bit of a shock when I floored it:D

Nice acceleration:thumbsup: 180Kw seems to have plenty of power, I haven't been in an SV6 195Kw:whistling ,reckon they'd be pretty cool but as ya know the Omega doesn't come out in a more powerful v6.

Use to run V8's when I was a bit younger but not Holdens. Been converted now but use to like the 302 with a 350 Holley. Anyway that was many years ago when 351's and 13B Rotaries were all the go.

Roll on May:yeah: