Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais-V 6L Clunk when engaging D or R-other owners comment?

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
They gave us a new 2009 AFM V8 Caprice to use for the time being. Its not bad...

Nice.. can you tell when the AFM kicks in and out of operation.. and what does it rev like in 4cyl mode ?

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
Hey Johnsy,
Yeah I can sort of notice it when it goes from full active mode to 4Cycl mode... However to be honest, it does not seem to be responisve as the Full V8 mode cars. Perhaps its just me or the extra weight of a Caprice... Its very nice to drive, however rather having the SWB sedan as it seems better suited for corners and stuff.

However having the Caprice paid off when my brother came for a visit... Told him its my new car hahahahaha.... I had him going for a little while.... :p

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
KITTAU Hows the trans now?

KITTAU, just wondering how the car is now? Any other peoblems?

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Holdfast... Nah the auto trans has been so much better since being replaced... Its still a bit strange sometimes and sometimes hunts for gears on a roundabout for example... But power of the line from the lights for example is great and the shifts are quick and smooth... Holden could release a software update to making it better but I think Im dreaming there...

666damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V MY09 (60th Anniversary)
Hey guys,

Sorry to dig up an old post, but my MY9.5 Calais V has the 2-3 flair since I got it a year ago.
I have mentioned this to the dealer several times, but they have never faulted it.

The last time I brought it up, they said that they noticed the flair, but that it was 'within normal parameters' and it already had the latest software.

As it is more likely to happen in the morning, I have left it overnight at the dealer's and will try to show them in the morning.
In the meantime, if anyone has a TSB number, or something to look up in the 'universal' something-jiggy that Technical Assistance use, could you pass it on?
If not to the thread, then PM.

Cheers,
:D

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Hi everyone,
MY-08 Calais-V 6L 13,000KM- I've noticed a hard 'clunk' when engaging Drive or Reverse.
The clunk goes away if I go between R & D a few times (up through Neutral) but if I shut the engine down & restart, the clunk immediately re-asserts itself when putting into D or R.

Doesn't matter if engine is cold or warm (obviously when it's cold it's idling faster).

It really irritates me because the last time I owned a commodore, it was a VX- S pak and engaging gears was always smooth.

Secondly, I notice in corners when decelerating/ accelerating a huge 'lag' as the engine drops from 3rd back to 2nd -is this normal too or should I not be accelerating out of corners (even gently!)- The lag is so bad, everyone's head rocks forward and then back (looks like waynes world for a second in the car!)
Update from Holden Nov 08- clunky 6spd auto is due to a valve in the tranny that holden are 'considering' redesigning & retro-fitting because it causes clunks into D or R AND 'flairing' into 3rd from 2nd and lagging back to 2nd from 3rd- exactly what I was complaining about bugger me!
Sorry for length of message- any advice GRATEFULLY recieved.

thanks,

Can anyone with the same config car tell me if this is normal?
Hi Vol800, I have a 07 VE Calais V 6.0, I havent noticed the lag when going around corners nore the clunking issue but i have had problems with flaring from 2nd to 3rd gear, i had Holden re-flash the trans and engine and it seems to have fixed the problem, somtimes it will flare once then it fixes itself and after the next set of lights it will change smooth..Im getting a custom tune done this friday (30/3/2012) as im getting headers and exhaust put on, the guy who is tuning the car works for HSV so i will ask him about your problem and get back to you , As for your question i dont think its normal, Not at all, If no luck with Holden try having a chat to Fluidrive.- Box Hill
8 Nelson Road
Box Hill 3128..Ph:9890 0569..Hope you get it soughted buddy

Cheers

Steve

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys,

Sorry to dig up an old post, but my MY9.5 Calais V has the 2-3 flair since I got it a year ago.
I have mentioned this to the dealer several times, but they have never faulted it.

The last time I brought it up, they said that they noticed the flair, but that it was 'within normal parameters' and it already had the latest software.

As it is more likely to happen in the morning, I have left it overnight at the dealer's and will try to show them in the morning.
In the meantime, if anyone has a TSB number, or something to look up in the 'universal' something-jiggy that Technical Assistance use, could you pass it on?
If not to the thread, then PM.

Cheers,

Hey mate...

Im not sure if this will help you or not...
This is the tech number to have my transmission replaced etc under warranty: 1-72888336 (TAS case).

The issue that you are referring to sounds like the same issues I had... Mornings are the worst when it used to flare... Once the transmission was replaced all them issues went away...
It's still a bit clunky every now and then... But much better then it used to be before the replacement...

Good Luck... Heartland Holden in Blacktown sorted mine if that helps... Im trading in my Calais V 60th on the weekend and picking up my new MY12 SSV ... Just hope the auto box in it is a much better unit... Then previous years.

666damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate...

Im not sure if this will help you or not...
This is the tech number to have my transmission replaced etc under warranty: 1-72888336 (TAS case).

The issue that you are referring to sounds like the same issues I had... Mornings are the worst when it used to flare... Once the transmission was replaced all them issues went away...
It's still a bit clunky every now and then... But much better then it used to be before the replacement...

Good Luck... Heartland Holden in Blacktown sorted mine if that helps... Im trading in my Calais V 60th on the weekend and picking up my new MY12 SSV ... Just hope the auto box in it is a much better unit... Then previous years.

Thanks Kit,

Funnily enough, my baby is a 60th also.

You're right, it is worse in the mornings and doesn't happen all the time. Occasionally she's still sloppy for me when she's nice and warm too - e.g. after a run on the M4, taking off from the lights it still happens under mild acceleration.
It's mostly repeatable... except for when you're trying to show the engineer/service manager - then the problem goes away long enough to make you look like a fool.

I do also have the clunk on occasion, I can deal with that, but the flair is messing with my sanity.

Thanks again for the info.

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Kit,

Funnily enough, my baby is a 60th also.

You're right, it is worse in the mornings and doesn't happen all the time. Occasionally she's still sloppy for me when she's nice and warm too - e.g. after a run on the M4, taking off from the lights it still happens under mild acceleration.
It's mostly repeatable... except for when you're trying to show the engineer/service manager - then the problem goes away long enough to make you look like a fool.

I do also have the clunk on occasion, I can deal with that, but the flair is messing with my sanity.

Thanks again for the info.

No worries mate...
Yes it sounds just like what I had for sure... Yeah I remember now it was not happening all the time, but yes when you take off from lights I used to noitice it too...

I would make them go for a drive with you say on a cold start in the morning and hopefully they will notice the flaring etc. It took me like 4 trips back and forth before my dealer did anything and a Holden tech from Adelaide to road test the car. I also told them that it is not normal for an auto trans to behave like that...
In the end a new gearbox was installed and the flaring is gone.

I know there are some software updates that they reckon fix alot of issues but the issue here sounds more like the seals etc. Apparently that is what was faulty on mine... I understand that the Series II models have a revised part now and have gotten rid of alot of the issues people reported.

I can only wish you the best of luck mate with getting it sorted. They are such great cars and it only takes something like this to put a bit of a dampener on the whole experience.

Let me know how you go... You are in Sydney right? Go see Holden at Blacktown... Ask for Vinnie... I think he still works out there in service. He knew all about mine.

Cheers

Tim

666damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I might have to check out Blacktown after all, track down this Vinnie guy...

Well, I've been out of it for a few weeks as I've had an ACL reconstruction (which I'm recovering from very well, btw) and had left the car with the dealer for around two weeks.
After one week, they called to say they couldn't find anything wrong. I told them to hold on to the car, and I would call Holden customer assistance for advice.
Well, they sounded helpful. I gave them your TAS case number Tim, and they said they'd look it up and pass any useful info on to the dealer in regards to the issue. They sounded helpful. I explained to them that my specific concern was that the dealer believed that the car was behaving within parameters, but I disagreed. They said to leave the car with the dealer and they'll sort it out. They sounded helpful.

I got a call on the 4th of April from Holden customer assistance. Paraphrasing: 'We've been speaking to the manager and they can't find anything wrong with the car.'
I asked if they had chased up Tim's TAS case for details.
'Oh, we have that number written down'
Essentially, it took HCA two days to call me and repeat what the dealer was telling me. They hadn't done anything except call the dealer to find out what I had already told them.
I repeated that I did not believe that the car was behaving within parameters, and asked that HCA call when they have some useful info.
Another week passes and I call the dealer. They said they 'drove it every morning they had it, but couldn't notice the problem.'

I went to pick up the car on the 10th of April and convinced the service manager to go for a drive.
He drove for around ten minutes, and every time the car flared from 2nd to 3rd, I commented; Each time he said he didn't notice anything.
I asked if I could drive back to the dealership, which he allowed.
When he was driving, I noticed that he is heavier-footed than I am, so I accelerated at my normal rate -about 5%-10% throttle (just enough that the car changes below 2000)
The flare was dramatically more pronounced than when accelerating heavily; He still denied noticing.

I eventually got him to admit that he felt what I was talking about, but he was adamant that it was still within parameters.
I assured him that occasionally the flare is more pronounced than it is currently exhibiting to us, which didn't evoke a response.

The only thing he suggested was he would call me when the Holden rep / regional manager came around, I could bring the car in and he would make a decision. I accepted, and got a call that night saying that he was visiting tomorrow morning. I had an appointment with my surgeon, so I told him I'd call when that was over. The next day I called, but by the time I did, the rep had left.

I've booked the car in for the 05/05/2012 which is the next time the rep is visiting.

On that night, April 11th, HCA called to update me on the case and advise that my car is booked in on such and such a date so that the rep can assess the issue.
I asked them if they had any luck with Tim's case number, 'oh, our system can't access those cases'
Which is the opposite of what I'd been told several calls ago.
I wish they'd at least get their facts straight. I was told that HCA would pass Tim's case number on to the rep, 'who has access to the info in TAS cases', so that he has some knowledge about the issue.
Again, HCA sounded helpful, but I've learnt by now that they don't know what they're doing. I'm betting a case of Crownies that the rep never gets the case number forwarded to him.

The last thing I should mention is why I'm not being taken seriously. I'm a nice guy. I don't yell at people doing their job because I know what that's like. It seems though, this is precisely what you need to do to get anything nowadays.

NOTE: I'm tired, I might have missed small details, or borked some dates, but I think it's close enough.

Damo