Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais V Change of seat shape

Jay B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0L
Hey so I drive Calais V with leather interior and I found that after a month of driving it I had lower back pains. I thought it was work related and so ignored it. Anyway someone suggested I get a lower back support thing that clips onto the seat and the pains went. I decided to remove the rest as I hate the look of it and to instead have the seat set a little higher and straighter, but after a week the pain came back. Put the back support in again and it was gone. Basically the lower back support thing does it’s job.... but it’s bloody ugly!

So does anyone have any suggestions for a less ugly solution? I was thinking about contacting an upholstered to get my drivers seat reshaped, but I thought I should pick everyone’s brains first.

Cheers

Jay!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Get the upholsterer to make a new back support with your choice of foam density / moulding and wrap it in matching leather. Should be reasonably camouflaged.

Easier to revert back to original for another driver or sale in the future too.

Jimbotech

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V - l98
I went through this with my Calais as the seat cushions are all squashed.

You cannot modify the seat foam (to get more bolstering) as there are structural bars in place, there are also airbags which further limits the changes you can do (if any)

Only real option is to swap the seats out for either SS seats or HSV / Maloo seats (if you have the coin), the new seats must however have airbags as they need to be the same as the OEM set up (if your orignal seats had airbags your new ones need to aswell)

You also need to make sure the person knows what they are doing as if they set off the airbags your fucked.

Alternative for me was to either swap the drivers with passengers foam or find new Calais seat foam online, i just decided to leave mine for now.
White senator seats are also as rare as gold and would cost $2000 for a nice set, could also go "proseat" but they have mixed reviews.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Maybe get in touch with the folks at Proseat?