Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais V6 Not Starting in Hot Weather

Trigger355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E, VH SS, VS SS, VE Calais V
Hi guys,

After some help with my series 1 VE V6. It has developed a problem in hot weather where it won't start after the car has been driven, if the car is left to cool down for about an hour it will eventually start although not very well. It will crank and crank but just not fire until it finally comes to life and splutters and shakes. After a few seconds of spluttering it seems to be alright but obviously something is wrong. Someone said to me that the fuel evaporates in the fuel rail but the problem has only started in the last few weeks. The bad start can be after the car has been driven although I have tested it and this also happens if you start it from cold, turn it off and then start it again.

Wondering if anyone else has this problem with the 3.6litre alloytec and if there is a known fix. I love the car and want to try and fix the issue so it's reliable again.

Hoping someone out there can help.

Thanks.

hsv-cv

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
one fast ve
Umm I would try maybe a mechanic? Could be a crazy idea but I'm pretty sure that's what they do....

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Umm I would try maybe a mechanic? Could be a crazy idea but I'm pretty sure that's what they do....

Whats the point of the forum if we just tell everyone to try a mechanic? If you ask for help would you like to be told to just try a mechanic?

Anyway, it could be possible your fuel pump is not working properly when the car is hot. I would get the fuel line pressure tested.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I agree with Dan.

1. If the pump is under delivering fuel pressure the car will be hard to start both hot and cold. The VE has the fuel filter and fuel pump as the one integrated unit inside your fuel tank. Bad idea because you don't have a independent fuel filter that can be easily changed every 70000 kms or so. But many manufacturers are having these types of pumps with the integrated filter fitted to the tanks as a cost saving measure. Supposedly they are good for about 100000 Miles. When the filter gets clogged you will have a problem with generating sufficient fuel pressure and then starting woes will begin. Alternatively the fuel pump itself could be on the way out. So I would have this checked out and possibly eliminated as a cause as a first step.

2. Also have all the wiring and connections to the fuel pump checked as poor current flow will cause a perfectly sound fuel pump to run slow and you can experience the same starting difficulties.

hsv-cv

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
one fast ve
Fuel lines pressure tested by ..... A mechanic?? Well dans if my ve Calais wasn't starting I'd probably want to get it fixed ASAP so I could drive it not jump on a forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trigger355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E, VH SS, VS SS, VE Calais V
Thanks dans and Sean880 for your helpful posts.

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
Trigger, did you ever get this sorted? My car is having the same problem cheers

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
My guess would be fuel pump...had a very similar issue with a VY