Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Coilover Kits - Recommendations/Suggestions?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Is there a reason you're advising against them?

Not advising, just conversing. :)

I have nothing against full coilover setups but it's a matter of cost vs benefit. You should always try to achieve what you want at the best possible price and quality imo. If that means coilovers for Grennan to get a real specific height and look, cool! Nothing wrong with that! And I'm sure he'll be happier with the end result.

For me personally, I have been looking at mildly tweaking my weekender (VE II SSV). For the results I want, I'm looking at replacing all four shocks and MAYBE the springs (which would go no lower than 20mm lower than stock). Ralph from Trutrack is putting some options together for me. If I go ahead, I'll swap out a lot (if not all) the bushes for some polyurethane replacements at the same time. And that works for me. I don't need it to be fully adjustable. It's a weekender and done once, will tighten it up with some quality parts and I'll never touch it again other than wheel alignments.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Then why go with coil overs at all?

Have you spoken to a suspension expert yet?

Sorry Rajesh, just found this on the second page.

Coilovers don't necessarily have to be hard handling or rough, any good company (which are few and far between for a Commodore at the moment) will be able to provide coilovers with softer spring rate and and matching dampers. If I wanted to set a car up for comfort and have better than average handling it would be easier for me to buy a set of coilovers with specific specifications than the generic King Spring and Monroe combo (which you can't really choose rates for).

What are you looking for yours?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
If I wanted to set a car up for comfort and have better than average handling it would be easier for me to buy a set of coilovers with specific specifications than the generic King Spring and Monroe combo (which you can't really choose rates for).

Sure - if you're limiting yourself to low end coils and shocks. ;)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yes, I come from the world of imports where there is a lot of competition in the low end, so for $1200 you can get something tried and tested that will do the job well but still leaves a lot of room for improvement.