Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Coilover Kits - Recommendations/Suggestions?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Then why go with coil overs at all?

Because when you look into Stanced cars there either on adjustable coilovers (BTW all VEs are factory with coilover strut) or bagged. This allows the cars to be set at a 'daily' driven ride height and adjusted lower for photos and show n shine events. A lot of the true stance cars from Asia and the States dont have Australia's defects laws and actually get daily driven at low crazy low ride heights.

For anyone looking into stance and tight wheel fitment coilover kits are the best. If your cars too low and tyres rub, it's only a small adjustment to fix. Rather then ripping the struts out, rebuilding them with new springs, and still being unhappy with the result.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Because when you look into Stanced cars there either on adjustable coilovers (BTW all VEs are factory with coilover strut) or bagged. This allows the cars to be set at a 'daily' driven ride height and adjusted lower for photos and show n shine events. A lot of the true stance cars from Asia and the States dont have Australia's defects laws and actually get daily driven at low crazy low ride heights.

For anyone looking into stance and tight wheel fitment coilover kits are the best. If your cars too low and tyres rub, it's only a small adjustment to fix. Rather then ripping the struts out, rebuilding them with new springs, and still being unhappy with the result.

Ok given VE /F has coil-over-strut type units from factory, then better struts like Bilsteins and possibly more targeted spring rate / height is a perfectly valid yet cheaper upgrade over TEINS or XYZ?

****, so you reckon just upgrade the struts if worn or want a better ride?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Nice! And for the record, I love the look of that silver wagon. It's just, as you said, impractical. And illegal.

Have you thought about air bags? Or is the cost simply prohibitive?

I had bags in my last car (still in my signature).

The cost is not prohibitive. While, yes expensive, I think from memory a full kit ranges somewhere about 4 grand for a basic entry level medium speed kit. So if I were to buy anything say, over 2 grand for coil overs, I would just forget it and go straight to air bags. Which is why my budget is where it is for the time being. Ive got wheels and suspension money sitting to the side, which would cover bags and it is very tempting.

The problem I have (and had) with air bags was, the reliance on lots of electronic components. In a car that (for now) is daily driven, if something as small as a fuse blows, youre stuck.

The other issue is, a lot of coil over kits are adr approved (didnt check if the XYZ kits were, IIRC the Pedders and TEIN kits are). As long as they are at a legal height, fantastic. Airbags require engineering.

But after having bags for almost 3 years, the novelty wore off.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Fair enough. I still think you'd benefit from discussing exactly what you want with a suspension expert. Because I honestly think you can achieve it without going for after market coil overs.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Fair enough. I still think you'd benefit from discussing exactly what you want with a suspension expert. Because I honestly think you can achieve it without going for after market coil overs.

I know I can.

The problem is, effort spent to get the same result . I can spend money and time on getting custom spring heights done. But its a lot of ####ing about for me to 6 months later, put something in the back of the car and need to raise it slightly.

The spring height would need to be based around the wheel and tyre specs as well.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Ok given VE /F has coil-over-strut type units from factory

all commodore have coilover struts front and VE/Fs have them rear. Fact.

I'm saying some owners want millimeter exact ride heights which is only achievable with adjustable suspension.

If our OP (grennan) was to buy any coilover kit it can be rebuilt with any brand springs so long as the shock and dampers are good.

I bought the damper adjustable Tiens and can fit swift, XYZ, Pedder, K sport springs if I wish to change the spring rate. I can adjust my height to suit my factory skinny HSV wheels or raise it up to suit up to a 11" rim or a 305 rear tyre if I choose to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
The spring height would need to be based around the wheel and tyre specs as well.

Indeed. I assume you're getting the suspension done after you put the rims on (or at the same time)?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Depends on what route I go. I was going to get wheels atleast chosen and measured up which I think I have finally sorted.

If I go springs, I will need wheels first and then do suspension to suit that.

If I go coilovers, I can do either because the suspension can be made to suit the wheels.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Ok given VE /F has coil-over-strut type units from factory, then better struts like Bilsteins and possibly more targeted spring rate / height is a perfectly valid yet cheaper upgrade over TEINS or XYZ?

Quite possibly, depends on your budget and application. If you're not looking for height adjustability to the nth degree then there's not much in the way of features/value between the two at the moment for Commodores. Still would avoid struts if you're into "stance". It might change if the market finally opens up and delivers some new products though.

Because I honestly think you can achieve it without going for after market coil overs.

Not really. The coilovers provide more practical on the fly adjustment. To get those kind of results out of a spring/shock you would be looking at custom springs (which the last pair I looked at were $400 per pair or something stupid) which are not guaranteed to be a good or desirable height either. The height of the spring on a coilover is much less important because of adjustable collars and bases, not to mention you can dial in pre-load and add helper springs with this setup. The fact that the end user can adjust these with little to no specialty tools is a huuuuge advantage, and a spring change is as easy as ordering another set from the manufacturer without having to worry about spring height. Many front Macpherson coilovers also come with camber tops to boot.

Is there a reason you're advising against them? I feel Holden made a good choice by finally moving away from the ancient swing arm setup to something where a true coilover can be used.

Also keep in mind Grennan that if you do get the coilovers you have the ability to adjust to different types of wheels and tyres.