Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

Patto1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 series II wagon
Have done heaps of these things, they aren't a hard job. Just a very fiddly one and very time consuming.

I wouldn't want someone that hasn't done it before touching it either.

If you're in VIC I know a good place to get it done.

I’m in Vic and need one done. Also need a head gasket

Treble1999

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 s2
Do u know if any ve commodore timing chains have ever snaped or they only ever stretch? Mines stretched and been driving it for like 9 months like it with the light coming on each time i start the car i just click the button in each time to cancel it off the screen. The car runs fine no noises, but does have a lack of power because when the engine light comes on it reduces the power but its still driveable. Do u think i should fix it or just leave it whats your opinion? if they dont snap you could probably drive it around for the next 10 years like it. And whats the worst that could happen if it does snap.
If you don’t fix and it snaps it will do lots of damage this an interference engine damage pistons valves maybe cams then your up for big bucks don’t take the chance bro.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
If you don’t fix and it snaps it will do lots of damage this an interference engine damage pistons valves maybe cams then your up for big bucks don’t take the chance bro.

They don't snap, they're not timing belts.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
They don't snap, they're not timing belts.
But they can and do snap...

A quick google search highlights the result of a snapped chain well enough. Yes not a commodore V6 engine but interference design... SSDD...

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
But they can and do snap...

A quick google search highlights the result of a snapped chain well enough. Yes not a commodore V6 engine but interference design... SSDD...

I'd imagine the outcome is exactly the same as a snapped timing belt. But as is being discussed above and as you also hinted at, Alloytecs aren't susceptible.

All I'm trying to clear up in this and other threads about Commodore timing chains is that they're not a time bomb waiting to destroy your engine and leave you and your family stranded on the side of the road.

Calling out bulls**t basically.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Brettly-2008, you do know that metal can only stretch so much before it ....... fails catastrophically.

The failure could be a combination of wearing out the chain guides through the nylon and into the meta guides frame thus throwing metallic particles into your engin, through to an overstretched chain that jumps off the timing gear (which is much like the ultimate failure) upto the actual chain snapping (resulting in the ultimate bent valves and holes punched into a piston scenario).

So chain stretch issues are not one of “if” but one of “when” the catastrophe occurs...

You can play semantics with the ultimate snapped chain failure but the reality is that it’s not a good idea to ignore these chain timing DTC’s, they wouldn’t exist if there wasn't an issue...

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Brettly-2008, you do know that metal can only stretch so much before it ....... fails catastrophically.

The failure could be a combination of wearing out the chain guides through the nylon and into the meta guides frame thus throwing metallic particles into your engin, through to an overstretched chain that jumps off the timing gear (which is much like the ultimate failure) upto the actual chain snapping (resulting in the ultimate bent valves and holes punched into a piston scenario).

So chain stretch issues are not one of “if” but one of “when” the catastrophe occurs...

You can play semantics with the ultimate snapped chain failure but the reality is that it’s not a good idea to ignore these chain timing DTC’s, they wouldn’t exist if there wasn't an issue...

Sorry, it's BS. An Alloytec timing chain snapping (even one slightly stretched and throwing a timing code) is even less likely to snap than a brand new rubber timing belt, and no one worries about those. The fear-mongering over these chains snapping is unnecessary.

Having said that, if an owner is stupid enough to ignore a fault code and continues driving for years, or longer, and the chain eventually gives way, then they deserve the catastrophic engine failure. But that's hardly the engine's fault, or a common occurrence.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Agree with Brettly-2008, it won't "snap" but stretched chain will slap on and destroy guides like mine,fixed it myself ,parts from RevHigh bout four hundred(2 years ago) I think..

Attachments

• 20180928_101000_1.jpg
    20180928_101000_1.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
It's like saying, I can walk down the street and get collected by a bus. Yes it CAN happen, does it happen every day? No. Most of these occurrences are to EXTREME abuse of the motor and lack of maintenance or both. Rare but can happen, I stress the word rare here.