Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE commodore- Typical spots for rust/ deterioration

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey folks,

Well I’m a bit dirty. I purchased a VE white commodore wagon from a bloke in Sydney who assured me that the car has never been in any accidents or had any touch up paint applied… my first mistake was trusting him. Anyways the car is signed done and dusted- it’s mine… so…..

Since receiving the car and washing it I have an area of suspicion on the left door side at the sill area (just below the window). Is this a typical area of rust for the VE commodore…. I’m trying to work out if what I’m looking at is dodgy paint over rust that will ultimately come through again or simply overspray/ paint covering up something else. Interested in your thoughts…. The other area is along the chrome strip on the boot area….

Worst case I’ll just get the door resprayed/ a blend respray but if it’s not rust underneath I’ll simply leave it as it won’t change/ get worse.
You know what this looks most like? Not rust.Thats pretty hard to do on the VE because of the way the body is treated during manufacturing. (Except the pedal plate) It looks like there was previously a clear coat peel and the door has been hastily re-cleared. They didn’t want to remove the trims because they are expensive. They didn’t sand near them so as not to damage them. Left the old clear underneath the new.