Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diagnostics- faulty intermittent engine start?

celestee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 1 SS/SSV V8 6.0L Gen4L98
Hey! Hopped onto a few similar threads but was hoping to find some more recent answers or suggestions to fault find.

Over the past few weeks I’ve had a few failed and seemingly random engine starts with my 2008 VE commodore.

I’ll turn the key and the usual lights come up on the dash, but there’s no cranking and the engine won’t start. It takes 2-3 goes of turning the key for it to fully take and it then runs perfect.

I have enough fuel, and I tested my battery and it’s showing up within a good range & terminals aren’t corroded... I’ve just found the alternator had been replaced in 2020 by the previous owner. I’m thinking it’s my starter motor that needs replacing?

I saw in other threads some people were talking about the key reader, a faulty ECU, or sparks potentially needing to be replaced.

Would anyone else have any experience to share if you’ve had a similar issue with their starter motors? Or how you managed to diagnose it yourself?

My next step is to take it for a diagnostics at an auto electrical workshop, but my service guy didn’t pick anything up last month so I’m hoping it’s something I can investigate first.

Thanks,
Shells

Last edited: