Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore Wins Wheels Car of The Year

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
Why am not surprised that Wheels gave the VE COTY. I'm ready to be shot down in flames after this but here goes. Whilst the VE is an improvement over past commodores I really don't think it is worthy of Wheels COTY. 2 recalls, Design compromises, panel gaps, useless space (weight) saving spare wheel, widely criticised A-Pillar, Dodgy Aircon and still ugly in many peoples views. The Wheels judges have simply let their emotions or patriotism cloud their judgement. Why is it that other car awards have gone to the Aurion? Why is it Wheels magazine is so good at giving awards to lemons and favouring the Aussie product. The VE has now joined the ranks of other cars that should not have been given COTY like the Leyland P76, Camira, TM Magna, VN, VR, VT and Ford BA. Some of these cars maybe sentimental old favourites now but not one of these cars deserved the award. i.e. P76(bad quality, unreliable over heating engine), Camira (lets not go there), VN (harsh, unrefined, hacked Opel, bad brakes, oil leaks and poor finish), VR (face lifted VN/VP, still leaks oil, Engine still Harsh and G'box nothing to talk about) TM Magna (plastic fantastic, oil burners, bad g'box), VT(modified opel, oil leaks, heavy, compromised suspension) and BA(brake shudder, cooling probs, under cooled auto, CPU freeze ups). Perhaps the Wheels COTY curse will strike the VE as well.

Who cares? Obviously not the testers. Because they didnt expeirience those mechanical problems during the 6 days of testing. As for the weight issue, performance isn't everything and obviously fuel ecomony was up to scratch at the time of testing for vt.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Wheels mag like that the ve has a euro style, i reckon its BS and i would rather a falcon as i reckon they look tuffer and and suit more aussie taste. also the ve isnt selling all the great either??

i reckon holden should take a lesson from the us about tuff car style and a little less german/euro style

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
i'm lovin' it.... just happy the BF didn't score coty...

then again, i'm biased! if Holden did make a car on the slightly crap side, it would still be better than the competition!

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
To all of you who bag the award, buy the magazine and read why it won. It also criticises it in many areas, so wheels aren't completely ga ga over it.

Last edited:

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
I didnt know that vztrt, so cars that are based on a prev modek arent eligble? example, say the vn won, that would make the vp ineligible?

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
I didnt know that vztrt, so cars that are based on a prev modek arent eligble? example, say the vn won, that would make the vp ineligible?

Yes, there are certain criteria a car needs to meet to enter the award. The VN did win but so did the VR I believe. I think they say that the car needs to be significantly different from the previous model to enter. So while the BF got a power upgrade and new transmission the fact that many people cant tell the difference between the models made it ineligible.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Good on Holden for winning the award. Just for reference here's a list of previous winners. Interesting ones I'm making bold. Taken from Wikipedia, my favorite source of information :D After looking at this list, it doesn't seem like much of an achievement (a freakin' Camira won one?!), but I guess there can only be one a year..

Wheels’ Car of the Year winners are:

GLD-086

Reaction score
lol do Falcons achieve anything?:p

If the BA never won it in 2002, the XR would've been the last to win it. lol

1966-2002 That's a pretty big f***ing gap.:D

Also yeah it doesn't really seem to be an achievement. They let a Boat (VN) with an optional anchor (Buick 3800) win it for god sake.:p