Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE commodores - Flat batteries?

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I don't think it's the bluetooth, not the doors , and not the storage either.
I keep the radio+stereo on for a long periods of time with a loud sound all the time, also the head lights on for 30 sec. after removing the key, and charged a lot of flat battery cars.

battery never complained at all for a year now, if there is something wrong, it's a fault in some cars, not the VE in general

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
yeah i used to work at a holden dealership and yes we did have problems with flat batteries in VE's alot of the time its from people leaving the radio etc on, opening the door before they take the keys out of ignition etc.

I don't have battery problems (yet) but I am curious about your experience of people "opening the door before they take the keys out of the iginition". I don't understand why this may be a problem. Can you provide further explanation please.

evoke the squid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
The problem is that the faulty Bluetooth module keeps the head unit turned on when the vehicle is locked,causing the battery to go flat.
If it says "Voice In" on the display when the vehicle is locked there's a good chance the Bluetooth module is faulty.
You don't even need to use the Bluetooth module for it to fail.

Fair point.......cheers for the feedback!

Caity05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
My Bluetooth is on constantly & I haven't noticed a problem, but I'm pretty certain it turns off when the engine does - I'll check that next time I get out of the car though ... worth noting!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have heard that it is a common problem with flat batteries if you use the Bluetooth , apparently the bluetooth is on all the time, and that is how it is flattened .

I have had 2 of these cars and used bluetooth extensively in both. Never had the flat battery problem although I'm way less than impressed with the bluetooth system. My friend has an Omega which doesn't have bluetooth and it did have a flat battery once.

I don't have battery problems (yet) but I am curious about your experience of people "opening the door before they take the keys out of the iginition". I don't understand why this may be a problem. Can you provide further explanation please.

The radio stays on until you open the drivers door. If the drivers door is open when the car is switched off the radio will stay on for 30 min and (supposedly - mine does anyway) switch itself off. I suppose if the car has a lot of very short trips and the battery power is slightly it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Reaper

PhantomVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV e2 Clubsport R8
Always use my BT, don`t think such a small power drain would have any effect

+1

Use bluetooth and radio all the time and no battery issues. Still on original battery 105,000kms.

I regulary listen to the radio while car is off and it will cutoff and show a battery low icon on the dash to worn you. I would turn the car on for 10min and then switch the radio back on :D. It was reliable for doing this over the long w/e ;)

no probs here

lazyass

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have moved up to VE SS
After calling Holden roadside assistance last week because we couldn't start the car i found out our 06 SS battery went flat without any notice at all but then had to call 4 auto shops and one Holden dealer (who still hasn't got back to me) before i found one at an auto electricians shop who was also able to fit it for the missus straight away.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
no problems at all with mine

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
Plenty of VE's at my work suffer from Flat batteries. We have hundreds on fleet.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7