Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Drivers Window Won't Operate

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Dear all members,

Just like to share a fault I had to fix today for a friend,
The fault was the drivers door window just stopped one day, lucky it was up when it failed to work,
The Owner had the Window Switch changed and found it wasn't that,
And then he got the regulator changed, and wasn't that either,
So he asked me to have a look at it.

The first thing I did was put the Autel Diagnostic Unit on it to check for any codes related to the window, but found a couple but unrelated, anyway, I did the usual, strip the door to see if the plug hadn't dislodged from the window regulator, but all was ok,
then started to get further involved, so did the usual steps.
1) checked the fuses. 2) check the connections. 3) check the wiring.
I started to the check the continuity from the window switch to the regulator and the up and down trigger wires were ok, and the negative was ok,
but the (positive hot) red/white wire didn't have 12 volts on it, so I removed the loom between the door pillar and door (loom plugs are located in the door pillar) and then checked the continuity from the plug to the window regulator plug, and found the (hot) red/white wire was broken, removed the tape that held transfer boot in place, and slid the boot back, and found the broken wire [image 1 & 2],
also found a another wire that was also ready to break, so I stripped them both back and crimp connected them [image 3], taped the cables up into a loom, and re-assembled the car, and fixed the fault.

The friend did take it to the local Holden dealer and they said it will be the BCM, and they will need to replace it at $1,200.
However, after testing the basics, it had to be in the wiring, so after 3 hours of checking & testing everything, and 2 inline crimp connectors/joiners, it was all done.
Hope this will assist other members. I have included a couple of photos that may be of assistance.

Attachments

• VE Wiring Repairs 01.jpg
    VE Wiring Repairs 01.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 478
  • VE Wiring Repairs 02.jpg
    VE Wiring Repairs 02.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 504
  • VE Wiring Repairs 03.jpg
    VE Wiring Repairs 03.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Thanks Krusing.

My two rear window buttons (from the master switch below the gearstick) don't work, might be the same cause? I can use the switches on the door fine, just not from the master switch. They can go down, just not up.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi Snortings, Its a rough guess, It maybe/sounds like the console switch unit, being both rear windows, and not just one,
common denominator.
I would likely say its the rear safety window lock/switch on the console.
Not sure about the colour coding on the rear windows, and the amount of cables go to them,
but the front drivers one I worked on had 4 wires, 2 trigger wires, small blue wire for down, and a small green wire for up,
larger heavy Black wire for the negative, and heavy Red/White positive supply wire.
Maybe strip the doors and check the continuity of trigger wires from the console switch to the window regulator plugs.
hope this helps.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Solder and heat shrink best, even better is to solder a length of wire to the broken end and pull it through the rubber so it can still flex between the door then solder the wire behind the kickboard and to the harness in the door.. Joiners in the rubber is asking for problems down the track.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Similar happened to us. One shop said as Krusing said, BCM etc.
Then the c’s at RAC said a new motor was needed. I said no way. I’ll fix it myself.

I had a moment to take a look myself. F’n plug was undone.

Great work going back to basics.

I wish ACCC had bigger teeth to help people getting ripped off by professionals.

Krusing, I am internet highfiving you from here

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I wish ACCC had bigger teeth to help people getting ripped off by professionals.
YESSSSSSSS!!! ACCC Dont worry about us due to no publicisty for them.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Similar happened to us. One shop said as Krusing said, BCM etc.
Then the c’s at RAC said a new motor was needed. I said no way. I’ll fix it myself.

I had a moment to take a look myself. F’n plug was undone.

Great work going back to basics.

Krusing, I am internet highfiving you from here
Remember My Sons Statesman when he had OIL in the water, two business said he need a New Engine, It will cost you $$$$$$$ but it was a LIM Gasket. Yes so called Professionals

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Remember My Sons Statesman when he had OIL in the water, two business said he need a New Engine, It will cost you $$$$$$$ but it was a LIM Gasket. Yes so called Professionals
Yip, just like when they see a electrical fault the first thing they say your bcm is rooted, so then you do it and it makes no deafferents.. I rather look at it my self than trust these professionals who love taking your money..