Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE E1 Headunit CD player

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
All week my headunit has decided it doesn't want to play any CD's today it played them fine though still skipped and a froze a little. I've tried putting a lense cleaner through it but it refuses to play it (disc error).
Is it worth taking it to a auto sparky and asking them to put the head unit out and clean the lense?

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
I would guess it would take around 2 - 3 hrs in labor to do the job so the cost could be around the 3 hundred mark providing that is all the problem is.
I don't know about the series 1 but couldn't you just transfer the cd onto a usb stick and use that instead like the series 2 or doesn't the series 1 have the usb?

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
They're a complex unit I wouldn't let someone open it unless they know what they're doing.

Does the radio work? Ditch the cds and run a high quality bluetooth adapter into the rear aux in. As long as you have your phone in a mount you are legally allowed to use it as a media controller

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
a clean might also not fix it too, the laser mechanisms in cd players can say "lose focus" over time/use.
you can do some adjustments to the laser but it will still begin to fail again after a short time its very common with game consoles like playstation etc.
so its also a chance you could pay someone to clean it and have it not work very well still or have them turn around and say it needs a new laser.

brucenz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V8 - 2006 6.0
hi sorry to hijack this thread but where would i find a good bluetooth adapter and are they hard to install .

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Well much to my annoyance the CD player is working fine again. I'm holding out for a DIG options dual zone HVAC so i guess i'll just put up with the randowness of the CD playing.

possibly dirty / dusty discs as well , that what was the cause of my own issues in my VX .

brucenz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V8 - 2006 6.0
Thanks for that. Will check out jb on the weekend