Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE not starting - video inside - help!

smidsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series I
VE Series 1, 250K km. There's a battery drain issue - sometimes it goes three days and is fine, sometimes it goes flat overnight - but it has recently been having trouble starting even with a new battery installed. Video example - it's about 30 seconds long and it catches at the end:

Once it finally catches there's often a flash of warnings - commonly ABS/Stability Control/Check Engine - for a brief moment before they vanish.

Sometimes the starter only gives a sad sounding bark, once, and doesn't go any further until you turn the key back and try again, where it will just do the same thing. Leave it for a while, come back and sometimes it will start up normally.

I have connected it to various OBD2 software and no fault seems to be found.

What's all this a symptom of? I thought it might be the starter motor but now it's cranking but not firing as often as it is doing the sad bark thing...

Oh, and when it does start up it takes a couple of seconds for the tacho to register anything. Is that usual?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
VE Series 1, 250K km. There's a battery drain issue - sometimes it goes three days and is fine, sometimes it goes flat overnight - but it has recently been having trouble starting even with a new battery installed. Video example - it's about 30 seconds long and it catches at the end:

Once it finally catches there's often a flash of warnings - commonly ABS/Stability Control/Check Engine - for a brief moment before they vanish.

Sometimes the starter only gives a sad sounding bark, once, and doesn't go any further until you turn the key back and try again, where it will just do the same thing. Leave it for a while, come back and sometimes it will start up normally.

What's all this a symptom of? I thought it might be the starter motor but now it's cranking but not firing as often as it is doing the sad bark thing...

Oh, and when it does start up it takes a couple of seconds for the tacho to register anything. Is that usual?

Check fuses under hood...F9 TCM.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais

Check fuses in particular F9 TCM

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Low fuel pressure perhaps?
Does it have power at high reve once it gets going or is it gutless?

smidsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series I
Thanks guys.

Checked that fuse, F9 TCM is OK.

I will have a go at cleaning the MAF/TPS, didn't even think of that.

Goes well at high RPM - surprisingly well, actually... the previous owner reckoned it had had a performance tune at some point in it's life but damned if I know how you'd tell nowadays...