Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Omega radio swap help

prktkljokr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega, W204 Mercedes C180 coupe
Hi guys, First post here, but hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have some conflicting information regarding replacing the standard Omega radio unit over, I have a unit that has been damaged, and I have pulled a second hand unit from a wreck I bought for parts, I am only changing the unit and not the faceplate, both cars are 2007 Omega's and are identical apart from vin numbers, and radio codes.

I have rang a few dealers, some guys who say they are a wiz when it comes to Commodores, and spoken to a few techs with conflicting information, ill go with what the Holden tech's relayed to me.

I have been told by one Holden tech, that I need to clear the radio code from the unit I am removing from the wreck while it is still in the wreck, then I can then recode the radio once fitted to my car, they told me that this can be done with the tech 2 type tool.

Then from another Holden tech, I was told that the radio from the wreck can not be cleared with the tech 2 and needs to be sent to Bosch to be cleared/recoded.

Then just to confuse me some more, the 3rd tech I asked told me that if I bring both cars in they can change them over no ptoblem as long as the wreck powers up (which it does)

i have found a heap of posts regarding changing radios from series 2 into series 1, but could not find anything about replacing a series 1 radio with the same type unit

I have used a friends Tech 2 type tool and retreved the radio code and numbers from the wreck, but it did not have a section to remove codes from the radio.

Just getting a little frustrated, I have a tilt tray and can take the wreck to the dealer, just want to make sure that there is no way of solving this myself before I do so.

Cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You need to install the radio into your car and then use the T2 to program your vin into the radio.

prktkljokr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds good, but does the radio need to be cleared from the original car first?, have you done this before with a used radio or non cleared radio?, it just seems that every person I contact has a different take on how its done, and Shacks Fremantle are the ones saying it has to go to Bosch to be cleared.

I have fitted the radio to the car and scanned it with the T2 tool, there is no provision in the software on the T2 to program the vin number, I can retrieve all the codes and vin from the audio section, just nowhere will it let me change it.

I cant remember the name of the T2 unit I am using, but it is a up to date unit from a mechanic friend, they have never done a radio swap, so cant help me.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Contact user Zerone he will know exactly from memory.

prktkljokr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, ill send him a PM

prktkljokr

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just tried to send Zerone a PM , but he has his inbox set to not recieve.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
I just tried to send Zerone a PM , but he has his inbox set to not recieve.

Zerone has disabled messaging, as he was getting too many messages - and if he answers a question in a thread, everyone can read his responses, and also search the forum before asking the same questions again and again :)

Also, he's a busy man, being an admin on other forums.
Maybe try him on: www.carmodder.com • Index page

(also see: https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...cia-fit-over-ve-cluster-2.231580/post-2620916

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Zerone has disabled messaging, as he was getting too many messages

heh, whoops! I've been telling everyone to PM him! Is that like a DoS Attack by Proxy? lol

prktkljokr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zerone has disabled messaging, as he was getting too many messages - and if he answers a question in a thread, everyone can read his responses, and also search the forum before asking the same questions again and again :)

Also, he's a busy man, being an admin on other forums.
Maybe try him on: www.carmodder.com • Index page

(also see: https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...cia-fit-over-ve-cluster-2.231580/post-2620916

Thanks
I can see from the WM thread that he has been P'ed off by a Perthie, were not all the same :)

Ive done a couple of searches for my problem , but it seems unless you search for exact phrases or threads it comes up with no info that helps with my problem.

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
The radio from the wreck will still have the old VIN in it's eeprom, and I'm pretty sure the T2 can't clear it.
If you put it in your car as is, the radio will only display a "securirty lockout" error due to the mismatched vin's.

Swapping the faceplates will also give this error, but the T2 CAN relink a different fascia to a headunit.
(the fascia has it's own cpu, and is paired to the actual headunit)

If you feel like a challenge, carmodder.com has a great DIY guide on reprogramming the epprom yourself.
You might be better off getting a Calais/SSV/HSV stereo from a wreck instead - same procedure and better radio than the Omega
One downside though is that the green display above the radio will be blank if a Calais headunit is put in.

I swapped my Omega radio to a GTS one about a year ago, pretty straightforward really.

Last edited: