Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE OMEGA Recirculation problem

rick43

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Omega
Hi guys, I'm having problems with my ventilation system. When I set the vents to recirculate, it doesn't stop anything from coming through, this is particularly bad when travelling through a major traffic tunnel. It sucks in just as much fumes as when I set the the vents to Open.
I thought this may have been due to the amount of fumes in there, however, even just driving behind a car in open air has the same issues.

I asked holden and got told that as a safety measure, all vents remained 7% open when set to closed, in order to prevent drivers from constantly breathing recirced air and potentially falling asleep at the wheel. I don't know where he got that 7% from, but he just sounds like a B#!^% artists..

This is a huge issue for me, breathing that crap everyday and my missus getting headaches whenever we go through the tunnels...an unfortunate need.. Any help would be appreciated..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
7% sounds believeable but it sounds like you have more than that .
The first thing i'd suggest you do is fit a pollen filter to your AC air intake. That will catch a fair bit of the crap thats getting in. you can get them from Repco or Holden

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
I have found when you turn recirculation off then on and hold the button for 3 seconds it completely blocks the vent off for that use of the car, went and had a look around the feature is called pollution mode.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Try doing a HVAC door relearn.
Ign on but engine off, press and hold the rear demister button till you hear all the actuators moving.
They are fairly quiet so close all the doors and windows so you can hear them working.

Also, you do know that some air selections wont allow you to use recirculate? (bloody holden 'good idea').
For instance, if you have feet and windscreen set, you cant recirculate and aircon is forced on.
Just making sure you arent driving in tunnel with the wrong airflow selected.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
yes as above hold demist to relearn flaps

yes its called pollution mode happens about 20 mins into drive then every ten minutes in some car can be turned off (some ve models as stated above)

OR wwith headaches could be an r134a ac gas leak....

or more likely the flap motor for recirc is broken AT THE FLAP
its behind the blower fan and if certain codes are logged i would PERSONALLY check to see if it broken off the motor
as if you hit the recirc button it should change this flap
food for thought maybe???

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Pollution mode: The system can be set to pollution mode which selects recirculation when the vehicle speed is less than 15 km/h. This helps to prevent exhaust fumes entering the interior in heavy, stop/start traffic. To switch pollution mode on or off, press and hold the recirculation button for four seconds. When pollution mode is activated, the display shows Pollution Mode Activated. When it is switched off, the display shows Pollution Mode Inactive.

Normal mode: If you drive in recirc mode the system will carry out a purge by automatically switching to fresh, Not sure on the times I think it purges every 15 minutes for 10 minutes then switches back to recirc. It does not stay partly open all the time.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
And yeah broken recirc door is common as said above...

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
but even though common normaly sets code (no light on dash) for "recirc actuator malfunction" from memory

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
Pollution mode: The system can be set to pollution mode which selects recirculation when the vehicle speed is less than 15 km/h. This helps to prevent exhaust fumes entering the interior in heavy, stop/start traffic. To switch pollution mode on or off, press and hold the recirculation button for four seconds. When pollution mode is activated, the display shows Pollution Mode Activated. When it is switched off, the display shows Pollution Mode Inactive.

I've tried this many a time in my '08 VE SS and I've never seen a message come up on the screen for polution mode, so I'm not sure if it is even on all models?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
no its not on some models
as it became an uncontrollable safety item due toue c02 readings in (very few) c'dores
so i think past 07/08 its not controllable (not 100% sure of cut of date though)