Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve omega series 1 engine swap with series 2,timing chain issue..

TONNER_JEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Hi all
The wife's car died yesterday & needed to be towed to mechanic who said the problem was the coils which he changed, found to be low on oil so put 2 lts in it also,hmm 2 lts sounds excessive but I hadn't checked in a while,upon re-fire he said it was still running ruff as & a slight rattle then died again, so it has done a timing chain & quoted 3 grand plus to fix, was told maybe would be cheaper to exchange engines,SO to my question, can I put a series 2 engine into a series 1 omega & even an sv6 or sidi engine,just looking at my options before looking at exact swap....

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
There was a similar thread to this some weeks ago, I searched but didn't find it. Most comments referred to the differences with SIDI engines and the 6 speed transmissions used on the SIDI's etc, engine management systems etc. I think you will open a can of worms trying to swap to a later SIDI engine. If you decide engine swap I think you may need to stick with like for like. Otherwise repair your current engine. 2 litres is a fair amount of oil, but consider also the alloytecs run about 6.7 litres so needing 2 litres top up is bad, but will it kill the engine given there should still be 4.5 to 5 litres of oil in it? I recall reading some years ago with manufacturers wanting to offer longer service intervals that larger sump than previously fitted along with oil spec was a means of achieving this. Of course timing chain is a known issue with these engines so if it's never been done on your car it probably does need it. From other threads on this website anyone with timing chain issues normally has check engine light come on and error code can be read to determine the problem. Engine rattle of course is bad also. I can understand thinking swap engine given time is money and how much time (and parts) has to be spent to fix current engine. If it is really considered that the issue is timing chain only it would make sense to fix it.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
Yeah if you swap engines you might just run into timing chain dramas 5 thousand Km later again, unless you can find an engine that has had the chains replaced (with receipts) I would be more inclined to fix yours and have the peace of mind that the job has been done.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
There was a similar thread to this some weeks ago, I searched but didn't find it. Most comments referred to the differences with SIDI engines and the 6 speed transmissions used on the SIDI's etc, engine management systems etc. I think you will open a can of worms trying to swap to a later SIDI engine. If you decide engine swap I think you may need to stick with like for like. Otherwise repair your current engine. 2 litres is a fair amount of oil, but consider also the alloytecs run about 6.7 litres so needing 2 litres top up is bad, but will it kill the engine given there should still be 4.5 to 5 litres of oil in it? I recall reading some years ago with manufacturers wanting to offer longer service intervals that larger sump than previously fitted along with oil spec was a means of achieving this. Of course timing chain is a known issue with these engines so if it's never been done on your car it probably does need it. From other threads on this website anyone with timing chain issues normally has check engine light come on and error code can be read to determine the problem. Engine rattle of course is bad also. I can understand thinking swap engine given time is money and how much time (and parts) has to be spent to fix current engine. If it is really considered that the issue is timing chain only it would make sense to fix it.

Yep, this thread:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...-v6-berlina-engine-replacement-options.251850

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
With the numerous reports (on this forum) regarding problems with Timing Chains in the Alloytec motor, has anyone been successful in making a claim against Holden (warranty) !!

TONNER_JEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Yeah thanks guy's

I'd thought it would be a can of worms,can only shop around for a cheap quote on chain replacement & weigh up what's cheaper ,but a better option,for an 07 omega with 170000 k's I'm struggling to throw potentially thousands of dollars at it to have the same base model car with no re-sale value,yet wouldn't get squatt for it as is.

Dilemma much
Put a decent engine in or reco the one in it & keep it
Or
Put the cheapest engine i can get in & piss it off

TONNER_JEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
And the strange thing is that it was running fine no problems at all ,then all of a sudden while been driving but stopped in park just started shuddering & jerking around no alarms or warnings,switched off & tried again and alarms went & shuddering & jerking still so called NRMA who said it was coils & mechanic confirmed on his diag & proceeded to change,only after re-fire was still same and then no fire, diag suggested timing chain,

Anhevius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Commodore Series II Omega Dual Fuel
And the strange thing is that it was running fine no problems at all ,then all of a sudden while been driving but stopped in park just started shuddering & jerking around no alarms or warnings,switched off & tried again and alarms went & shuddering & jerking still so called NRMA who said it was coils & mechanic confirmed on his diag & proceeded to change,only after re-fire was still same and then no fire, diag suggested timing chain,

I'd check on the heads. Mine did that right after I bought it (2010 Series II). The dealership did coils, plugs, injectors for petrol and LPG, and finally pulled the heads off to find an imperfection around cylinder 2. Have the mech pull the logged data, and see where all the misfires are. If they're in one cylinder only, you might have the same issue I did.