Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE positive terminal fusible link, dealer only?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Nice effort but you have to be careful with adding/modifying non-genuine bits on your car,Insurance assessors hone in on non genuine electrical work to avoid/reduce payouts these days.

icetechaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SPORTSWAGON
At least solder in a socket for the mini fuse rather than soldering the fuse itself. the 60A fuse is probably now 80 to 100A with that layer of solder.

zzgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
what current will your solder melt at

Solder melts at about 200C
I have the temp of small iron usually about 350C, but a hot of heating power is needed to heat the terminals to the correct temp to allow the solder to flow correctly for a good solder joint

Solder 20190212_114404.jpg

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
If the connection gets hot enough to melt solder then you have greater problems to worry about. If you were really concerned use silver solder which has a much higher melt point and needs an iron with a higher temp range than normal. Regular 60/40 tin lead solder melts at around 360 degrees Fahrenheit.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
At least solder in a socket for the mini fuse rather than soldering the fuse itself. the 60A fuse is probably now 80 to 100A with that layer of solder.
I'm with you. I would have soldered a couple of fly leads onto the remains of the link and taken them to the new fuse holder.

Freddy Kruger

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE SS UTE
So the solder lasted until yesterday. 5 years isnt a bad effort for a patch fix. Car just wouldnt start in the driveway, thought the battery died but it wouldnt jump start and charging the battery didnt help. Multimeter diagnosed the busted fuse.

I've swapped in the Toyota one and might fix the old one again just as a spare.

I see after all this time there still isnt a way to just buy one. Thought i'd throw in an update if someone searches for the topic.