Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve rear wheel bearings?

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
You're better off buying the bearing and hub as no doubt the old hub will be rusted causing you more grief anyway.

Also as mentioned earlier you should get a new axle nut too

How much $ are we talking?

I got both of these off a 20,000km car for $350 to fix a different issue, and would actually make the job a whole lot easier for you.

1-BE3418-A-7-B63-424-B-B1-B8-C62092-BF10-F4.jpg

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I read through the ve service manual and it says to torque the axle nut to 150nm then back it off then tighten to 425nm.

Isn't 425nm a bit too much as I was planning on changing the rear wheeling myself but don't have a toque wrench that goes to 425nm.

I only want to do it myself to save on labour but don't have the proper toll. Can't I use a rattle gun to tighten the axle nut,

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I read through the ve service manual and it says to torque the axle nut to 150nm then back it off then tighten to 425nm.

Isn't 425nm a bit too much as I was planning on changing the rear wheeling myself but don't have a toque wrench that goes to 425nm.

I only want to do it myself to save on labour but don't have the proper toll. Can't I use a rattle gun to tighten the axle nut,

Anyone able to assist me whether the service manual is right to do the rear axle drive shaft bolts to 425nm? As I dont even have a torque wrench that goes up to that.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
VF Worksop manual states the following re tightening the rear wheel hub nut:

Install the KM-468 hub holding tool (1) to the wheel hub (2) with two inverted wheel nuts (3).
Support the KM-468 hub holding tool (1) outer end on a safety stand.
Note: There are two suitable methods of tightening the wheel drive shaft retaining nut. DO NOT EXCEED THE SPECIFIED TIGHTENING VALUES, otherwise premature bearing failure may result.

Preferred Method
Tightening
  • Tighten the nut on first pass to 150Nm (111 lb ft).
  • Loosen the nut on second pass by 180 degrees.
  • Tighten the nut on third pass to 425Nm (313 lb ft).
  • Crimp nut.
Alternate Method
Tightening
  • Tighten the nut on first pass to 150Nm (111 lb ft).
  • Loosen the nut on second pass by 180 degrees.
  • Tighten the nut on the third pass to 50Nm (37 lb ft).
  • Tighten the nut on the fourth pass by 45 degrees.
  • Crimp nut.

I‘d assume VE is the same ... maybe ...

PS: a rattle gun is a poor tool to be using to torque critical components :oops: