Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Rhino roof racks noisy

barnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi,

I've got a 2009 Omega. I went and bought and got installed some new Rhino roof racks. These are the moulded Aero 'Sportz' ones here Rhino Rack - Rhino Sportz Removable Pad Mount Roof Rack System - RSP

I've discovered that as soon as you get above 70km, there is very noticeable wind noise. At 100+km it becomes terrible, a low pitched whistling sound. The Rhino website helpfully suggests that if the noise is too bad, then you can just 'take them off' when not in use. But that's a pain, and frankly with this noise I wouldn't want them on even if I had to carry something.

Looking at the way the mounts are, there seems to be a kind of open cavities on the inside of the legs (see attached picture) which may be the problem, trapping air or something. But I wonder if there is just something about the VE's aerodynamics that doesn't work with these racks.
roof rack leg.jpg

I'm going to take them back to the shop to see if they can't fix it, failing that I'll try and persuade them to replace them with another brand.

Has anyone else had any experience with roof racks on VEs? Anyone found a brand that is any good? I'm trying to avoid the type where the bars overhang the legs.

Cheers.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
spend a little bit more and get thule gear

barnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I don't much like the overhang of the bar over the leg. I don't think Thule have any that don't have the overhang.

but, if they're the only option cause the other ones are noisy ones then I'll get them.

spend a little bit more and get thule gear