Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE S1 - Projector vs Reflector Headlights - which is better ?

VE_S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
G'day

I had fitted a set of Genuine projectors but found the light spread and cut-off inferior to the Reflectors.

When swapping the headlights, I put the same Narva 120+ Bulbs ( in the reflectors) but the projectors didn't seem to go as far and as bright as the Reflectors ... :hmmm:

I cant find a good pic of what the light spread looks like for the VE Projectors vs Reflectors

So just looking for feedback on Which of them is actually better with Halogen performance bulbs not HID kits ?

And also any thoughts on why the projectors didn't perform as good as the Reflectors ?

Going by what I read on earlier threads, the projectors should be better yeah ?

Thanks

Tony310864

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder Ute
I can't answer why but my young bloke drives series 1 SSV that has projector head lights that he says are not real good.
We did a comparison with my SS which has the standard reflector head lights.
The projector lights were no where as good as the reflector lights.
Both cars have standard globes.

Tony.

VE_S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
Thanks for your Feedback Tony

When reading some of the threads , one of them mentioned the bulbs had to be put in certain way for the projectors ...
so just wondering if the guys got them in wrong hence the bad output ...

But ... bugger if you also experienced the same then maybe the projectors aren't as good ...

Looks like the projectors only seem to work well with HIDs ...

Hope some more feedback can be had from the forum on this :)

Last edited:

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
As you mentioned make sure the bulbs are the right way around, you can check that pretty easy. Also try driving up to a wall at dusk/night and try adjusting the lights a bit higher (but not so high that you blind other drivers) and see if that helps you out.

I have projectors though with HIDs and love the amount of light out put. Even turning my high beams on I don't feel the need to have more driving lights or LED bars.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Projectors correctly adjusted with HID's all the way!
Light output is so nice and the Bi-xenon projectors I've got make daytime happen with high beams :p
20150207_210904_zpsce90f35e.jpg

VE_S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
Thanks Guys for the additional feedback

SUP3RST4R_DJ - I got it done at Good Mechanic but on checking he's sure he got the bulbs right. We checked the Headlights and they seemed Fine .. No cracks etc and they're genuine Holden - the guy i bought them from also confirmed they're fine when he had them on .. but the mechanic was also expecting a better output than what we saw.

skappascrap - thanks for the pic - those look really good !

Are Good HID kits expensive ? As looks like Projectors plus HIDs are the way to go although i was counting on just swapping my Narva 120+ would suffice .. When i got the reflectors back on the difference was really big with the same bulbs

Cheers,

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Projectors correctly adjusted with HID's all the way!

I have the urge to smash headlights fitted with aftermarket HIDs. Every prick is blinding and too bright. Had a lifted 4WD with HIDs on my dot last night, had to re-adjust the mirrors before I could see.

Stick to the OEM and if your having trouble seeing at night go get your eyes tested before you blind other roads users.

VE_S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
Can anyone please put up a pic of how the stock projector light spread is like ?

That might help to see what it looks like .. compared to the 120+ bulbs in my reflectors .

Thanks in Advance :)

SSexy-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Series 2 Ute
G'day

I had fitted a set of Genuine projectors but found the light spread and cut-off inferior to the Reflectors.

When swapping the headlights, I put the same Narva 120+ Bulbs ( in the reflectors) but the projectors didn't seem to go as far and as bright as the Reflectors ... :hmmm:

I cant find a good pic of what the light spread looks like for the VE Projectors vs Reflectors

So just looking for feedback on Which of them is actually better with Halogen performance bulbs not HID kits ?

And also any thoughts on why the projectors didn't perform as good as the Reflectors ?

Going by what I read on earlier threads, the projectors should be better yeah ?

Thanks

hey mate, i have a VE series 2 SSV Ute and it came standard with the projector headlights, it had standard halogen bulbs in it and was not bright enough for me, until i put in some 6000k HIDs which lit up the road really well. also the benefit of having a whiter light is better when driving in the rain and on dirt roads. IMO i would put the projector headlights in and buy some HIDs from ebay that are an all in one (Holden VE Commodore Headlight H7 HID KIT SV6 SS SSV HSV | eBay) being the projectors they shouldnt blind other road users. plus the whiter light from the HIDs give it a high class look.
Hope this helps
Luke

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
I have no idea what the difference is between the projector headlights and the reflector ones...Did the 07 VE Calais V come with them as standard?...Just so i know what the diff is..

Cheers.............