Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE S1 - Projector vs Reflector Headlights - which is better ?

SSexy-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Series 2 Ute
I have no idea what the difference is between the projector headlights and the reflector ones...Did the 07 VE Calais V come with them as standard?...Just so i know what the diff is..

Cheers.............

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/...lden-Commodore-VE-SS-SSV-SV6-E2-Headlight.jpg
this is a projector headlight, the high beam on the left is a reflector unit and on the right is low beam which is a projector unit.
the projector cuts of probly half the light and "projects" it into a a certain area, where as a reflector "reflects" the light basically anyway.

Reflector:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...png/200px-Headlight_lens_optics_schematic.png

Projector:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...c.png/200px-Headlight_projector_schematic.png

hope this helps mate.
Luke

VE_S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
Thanks for your feedback Luke

Yes - looks like projectors only seem to deliver a good output with the HIDs

I find that a bit odd as i used the 120+ Narva Performance bulbs so expected same if not better output from the projectors compared to the reflectors !

edit - It was very easy to note the huge improvement when comparing the standard bulb to the Narva 120+ bulbs so again very odd the projectors were not as good :(

The other odd thing is the projectors are used in all higher end Holden models so they should be better than Reflectors with same bulbs ... no ?

calv8 - Calais V should have the Projectors being the higher end variant :)

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
skappascrap - thanks for the pic - those look really good !

Are Good HID kits expensive ? As looks like Projectors plus HIDs are the way to go although i was counting on just swapping my Narva 120+ would suffice .. When i got the reflectors back on the difference was really big with the same bulbs

Cheers,

My Morimoto HID kit was $150+ shipping from the states, worth the money.

I have the urge to smash headlights fitted with aftermarket HIDs. Every prick is blinding and too bright. Had a lifted 4WD with HIDs on my dot last night, had to re-adjust the mirrors before I could see.

Stick to the OEM and if your having trouble seeing at night go get your eyes tested before you blind other roads users.

If they are adjusted correctly and pointed down low, they won't blind you unless you're oncoming down or up a hill, that happens with pretty much all headlights anyway.
Don't get your knickers in a twist, I'm as much angered as you are with cock socks in 4WDs and HID's in the stock reflectors, because all they do is throw light every which way possible besides the road.

VE_S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
It would be great to get a picture showing projector light spread with either standard or non HID bulbs

Tony - Any chance you have some pics when you compared the SS & SS-V ?

that would be very much appreciated :)

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
I've got some somewhere from my old Altezza projector lights with Philips +60.
I advise not getting Altezza headlights with the projectors, the projectors are cheap Chinese garbage.

SSexy-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Series 2 Ute
obviously HIDs will be alot better than halogen no matter what brand or style. with the projectors focusing the light it may seem that it isnt as bright as reflectors where the reflectors just shoot the light all over but most of it on the road. i like projectors because i can use HIDs and not blind anyone.
i had the LED aftermarket headlights on my old ute (ford) and the projectors still what they are meant to and they seem to allow more light to seep out of the projector because the lense isnt as dense as the holden ones. i wouldnt get the aftermarket headlights mainly because the highbeam on them is crap. not even worth using

does the morimoto Hid Kit come with the all in one ballist in the dust cap?

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Here's a quick comparison for cheap Chinese garbage projectors vs a high quality projector with a HID.
Both of these were taken with the light 3 metres away on a flat desk.

Crap, it has a small focus beam and the projector cut off goes sky high, useless as a low beam
1890569_10152608911972256_3337078453455099061_o.jpg

Much better, there is a wide focus beam and a sharp cut off.
1500898_10152608911932256_5771625305312676346_o.jpg

SSexy-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Series 2 Ute
Here's a quick comparison for cheap Chinese garbage projectors vs a high quality projector with a HID.
Both of these were taken with the light 3 metres away on a flat desk.

Crap, it has a small focus beam and the projector cut off goes sky high, useless as a low beam
1890569_10152608911972256_3337078453455099061_o.jpg

Much better, there is a wide focus beam and a sharp cut off.
1500898_10152608911932256_5771625305312676346_o.jpg

yeah fair enough, my SSV ones look nothing like the bottoms ones lol, there like a mix between the two

VE_S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
Thanks for the Pics and further comments guys - appreciate it all :)

I wasn't going to put the HIDs in the projectors as i'd just bought the Narva bulbs ...
These projectors are Genuine Holden from an SS-V so not the Chinese/Altezza ones!

Below is what my Reflectors looks like with the Narva Performance 120+ Halogen Bulbs

29cpan7.jpg

VE_S1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1
Below is Arctic 50 + from Narva

kbavkn.jpg

The arctic 50 Bulbs were what i had before the 120+ bulbs posted above ...

The stock Halogen bulbs were of much less output than the Arctic 50 bulbs :|

Last edited: