Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE S2 Engine shut down

Kingswood71

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
Hello Guys.
I have a 2011 VE Series 2 SV6.
It starts and runs smooth but after a short time will shut down with no warning.
Wait a few minuets and can start again. I have had it on an a good quality scanner with no issues or fault codes coming up.
Took far a drive the other day was running fine but after a few minuets shuddered violently with engine light flashing then shut down.
Once again waited a few minuets fired up, drove back to home and repeated the same issue and shut down.

I have been informed that it could be a EMC problem and may need a replacement.
Has anyone else ever encountered this issue and what was the solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I go and spend money that my not be required.

Cheers Neil.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Replace the crank angle sensor located rearward of the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Single 10mm bolt.

It will be faulty. No code generated. As soon as it heats, it’s rooted. Cool down and works allowing the car to start.

Kingswood71

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
Replace the crank angle sensor located rearward of the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Single 10mm bolt.

It will be faulty. No code generated. As soon as it heats, it’s rooted. Cool down and works allowing the car to start.
Thank you I will give that a go.

Kingswood71

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
Thank you I will give that a go.
OK SO.
Purchased a Crank angle sensor and replaced.
Took the car for a drive, drove beautifully for a hour and ten minutes then engine light flashing and shuddering then shut down.
switch off the ignition go to restart and comes up on display immobilizer activated contact dealer.
turn off again leave for 20 seconds turn key and starts and runs fine again till repeats the same process a short time later.

Any more suggestions what could be causing this.

Thanks in advance Neil.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
2011 SV6 early had LLT and later that year had LFX
Both had the ECU at the front near the fuse box and should be either a E69 (LLT) or E39 ECU (LFX)
Anyway keep a bottle of water in the car and next time it happens pour it over the ECU (it's waterproof) to cool it down and see if it starts straight away and keeps on going longer.
If it does then quite possibly the ECU has a heat problem and time to buy one from a wrecker with the same serv#number and get your ECU cloned. It's a much cheaper option and requires no linking or anything to happen you just plug the new one in once it's cloned and off you go.
Plenty of places in Qld cloning ECU's nowadays and even in little old Adelaide it can happen :D

Kingswood71

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV

Single 10mm bolt.

Thanks for that.
Does anyone in Brisbane have or recommend a supplier of a donor ECU and a reputable cloner without paying a kings Ransome for both.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remove the steering column shroud.
Have the car up on a jack at the front. You need to be able to turn the steering wheel to get it back on.

Check the transponder reader is not cracked and loose. It’s a clear plastic flat box that is screwed to the column. It gets fragile and they crack where it’s screwed to the column. It’s a torx bit screw. If that has cracked and moved it will have the effect of the key being moved or removed while driving. It will disable the car. The transponder in embedded in the plastic of the key and not part of the circuit board.

Make sure the key barrel is not loose or worn allowing the key to have excessive movement.

This is something that costs nothing to check. It’s easy to do.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If that checks out, you need a high end bidirectional scan tool to be hooked up to go any further with diagnosing it.

They will literally see which modules, sensors are talking and which are not that should be.

As an example, go straight to 5:20 in this:

Now this is not by any means your problem but it does show the kind of equipment, method and skill required to solve issues like yours if the easy stuff fails to work.