Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I want to put a towbar on my 2010 Omega 3.0 sedan.
I want the detachable, square-section hitch - sometimes called "Hayman Reese", but other people make them too.
The manual says the maximum for the 3.6 & V8 is 2100kg, but for the 3.0 only 1600kg - not sure that I can work out why there's a difference there, but no matter.
I priced them in Darwin, on the Gold Coast, and in Melbourne while on holiday recently.
The cheapest price I could find was $640 - to supply & fit the towbar, with hitch, wired, & ready to go.
The dealers all say that the wiring is the big issue, and that the harness from GM costs $110. They all say that the VE costs a lot more than the VZ.

So, my question is - has anyone got a better price than $640 ?
and if so where ?
I'll be taking another trip soon, and I don't mind where I get the towbar fitted.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
The price you have been quoted sounds about right for a towbar with a removable boxed hitch. You must use a genuine Holden wiring loom so this adds to the $640 you have been quoted.

Personally i use the Allin Towbars H/D towbar as it has the boxed type removable hitch and the chrome cover that covers the square hole for when the hitch is not in place. I don't think Hayman Reese has a cover on their product but i stand corrected if i am wrong.

There should be a disctributor for Allin towbars in your state but in hindsight i think the price is about right for the type of towbar your seeking.

revinR1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You can buy those chrome cover thingO`s from supercheap about $20ish and same as lock pins $20-40 .Only thing I found was with my holden tow bar I have a couple of tounges and pins here that when I went to put the one with my bike rack in the spare pin I had didn`t fit.Seems the Holden towbar uses the wider pin,just a heads up its all to do with how they have the safe chain holes

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
thankyou XMan & Revin.
I've been 'phoning around today. Still waiting for Allin SA to get back to me.
The cheapest quote, so far, is at Nambour in Q. So, my next hols might be down that way, it seems.

dale762308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V Series LPG
Do it yourself

I just bought the wiring kit from GMH and purchased a 2nd hand one from ebay $195, took about 1.5 hours to fit nothing to it, easy as.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you are still after prices you could try Carasel or Rallyspeed in sydney.

salute the ute

DRIVING IS A PASSION
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute Series II Perfect Blue
I know this thread is old but, the reason for the manual 3.0 L has only 1600 KG is to do with tugging when changing gears, Holden worker explained this to me. Auto can hold more.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I know this thread is old but, the reason for the manual 3.0 L has only 1600 KG is to do with tugging when changing gears, Holden worker explained this to me. Auto can hold more.

The 3L comes in manual?

I thought manual was only available in 3.6L.

Android

Reaction score
Website
www.androidsnetwork.com
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY9.5
Ok, old thread, new response :)

Just bought a used Holden 2100kg from a wreckers, including the wiring loom / ECU etc.
Now, as I understand it - the whole rear bumper has to be removed?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Ok, old thread, new response :)

Just bought a used Holden 2100kg from a wreckers, including the wiring loom / ECU etc.
Now, as I understand it - the whole rear bumper has to be removed?
Correct. And a hole needs to be cut.