Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 1 upgrade to Series 2 IQ Headunit

[md]#40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I had mine installed for 1500 (mates rates). You never look at the rrp because that's a joke

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Can I ask where you got that done?? I'd ideally want the IQ for the "stock look" and I prefer buttons for the HVAC, but if I could source an alpine unit for 1500-2000 that would be tempting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
[md]#40;2518229 said:
Can I ask where you got that done?? I'd ideally want the IQ for the "stock look" and I prefer buttons for the HVAC, but if I could source an alpine unit for 1500-2000 that would be tempting...

I ordered the head unit and fascia from jb hi fi and got it installed from no limit

[md]#40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I ordered the head unit and fascia from jb hi fi and got it installed from no limit

I couldn't seem to find the alpine unit on their website? Did they have to order it specially?

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
[md]#40;2518232 said:
I couldn't seem to find the alpine unit on their website? Did they have to order it specially?

Yeh its a special order from alpine for the fascia and hvac. Some stores have the head unit in stock

[md]#40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Yeh its a special order from alpine for the fascia and hvac. Some stores have the head unit in stock

ahh yeah nice. do you lose any of the "integration" that a standard holden headunit has? ie: radio station displaying on the dash cluster screen etc.

am honestly very tempted. is there anything you don't like about it or miss from the holden unit?

just trying to get all my research sorted before I commit to anything.

cheers

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
The radio station doesn't display on the dash but it's hard to miss it in a 8 inch screen.

If you have a stubby aerial it will need to be changed back to the full size to get proper radio reception.

I have had an issue with installing update v1.3 but that is all sorted now.

In my opinion it integrates very well and although it doesn't look stock it is an excellent upgrade.

[md]#40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
The radio station doesn't display on the dash but it's hard to miss it in a 8 inch screen.

If you have a stubby aerial it will need to be changed back to the full size to get proper radio reception.

I have had an issue with installing update v1.3 but that is all sorted now.

In my opinion it integrates very well and although it doesn't look stock it is an excellent upgrade.

Awesome, good to know all this before I get into it. Not really big issues there, so I'm starting to warm to the idea. Plus an 8" screen with GPS would be amazing!

Where is the USB connection for this unit? Do they route it through the glovebox?

Finally, do all the steering wheel controls work? Like to change the radio station or answer/hang up phone calls?

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
[md]#40;2518250 said:
Awesome, good to know all this before I get into it. Not really big issues there, so I'm starting to warm to the idea. Plus an 8" screen with GPS would be amazing!

Where is the USB connection for this unit? Do they route it through the glovebox?

Finally, do all the steering wheel controls work? Like to change the radio station or answer/hang up phone calls?

All the steering wheel controls work, except when I first had it installed they forgot to disconnect the factory blue tooth so the phone button was causing my phone to freeze up.

I had the usb routed to my glove box, they asked me where I wanted to have it put and that's where I chose.

I completely understand you doing your research before buying, I looked around and mulled over this decision for a good few weeks.

[md]#40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
All the steering wheel controls work, except when I first had it installed they forgot to disconnect the factory blue tooth so the phone button was causing my phone to freeze up.

I had the usb routed to my glove box, they asked me where I wanted to have it put and that's where I chose.

I completely understand you doing your research before buying, I looked around and mulled over this decision for a good few weeks.

Awesome, thanks for all your help. If I can get it for around $1500 then I reckon that's the way to go!

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary

so does your phone button work now as mine doesn't if its that simple ill suss it out but it doesn't worry me that its not working as the main ones do