Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 infotainment unit dead

Ejsrob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE Series 2 SSV Sedan auto 6.0 Litre
Hi, I've owned my 2012 SSV VE Series 2 sedan auto from new and the infotainment unit has just s*&t itself recently. Seems only ex-Holden dealers can fix it but one Morley dealer said 'Nope, not interested' and the other tested it and said "yep, it's definitely dead" and then reckons they can't find genuine replacement units anywhere in Australia!!! (Sheesh - how many VE vehicles did Holden make?). They were thinking wreckers but I'm not not sure that's the way to go. . .
I REALLY really need a/c control (summer is coming!), hazard lights, bluetooth, USB, radio, ventilation, demisting, reversing camera etc etc.

So I'm looking at Alpine, Aerpro and others, oh, and I also want the company to install it. This is early days atm so I'm interested in what others here may have replaced thei r standard infotainment units with - costs? functions lost? functions gained? integration issues? etc. Recommendations/units to avoid. Oh and I'm located in Perth.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Send it of to ASL media. They repair them.
Getting it out of a series 2 isn’t much fun.
Good chance to get a better head unit with all the modern features of a new car and use the Aerpro series 2 adaptor facia.

They are not wanting to touch it because most of the techs won’t be family with the systems now. Also it is going to hideously expensive for you, to the point of it not being worth your while.

Answer, remove it yourself. Treat yourself to a better replacement.
https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/car-audio-bundle-holden-commodore-2011-2012-ve2 (everything you need)

Repair: https://www.aslautomedia.com.au/repairs-exchanges/holden/ve-series-2-e3-hsv/

Remove: https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/holden/ve-commodore/holden-iq-headunit-conversion/

(Reverse of the install in that guide)

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That unit looks good but moving the headunit down low is not really ideal imo...
The features it brings though are like 1920 radio and someone showing you the future.

I put a series 2 IQ in our series 1 Calais. At the time it was good. The VT-VZ has the screen lower and the series 1 VE as well. That’s where the space is behind all the panels.

When I installed the CarPlay enabled headunit in the VZ, it changed our world. Suddenly we found getting around easy. Traffic info from Google maps. Maps that are never outdated. Maps that have speed limits shown.
Handsfree calls, and messages read out to you. It brought a lot of fun for the grommets when I try to send a message to mum. They yell
Out some funny stuff and Siri reads it back to you. It’s bloody nonsense and they yell at Siri to send it. Good times.

I would have easily gone back to a lower screen in the VE Calais to bring those features to the car. My music just a verbal request away. No touching screens. You just say what you want it to do.

Anyway, the other options are there for you.

You want someone to do it for you and I’d be budgeting $2k and if you got change, you are lucky as.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I was lucky, my IQ failed in the last week of warranty.
Look at some of the aftermarket suppliers that do IQ to VE1's, they should be able to replace your IQ.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSxtreme would be one. Also Envyous Customs

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
It would be cheaper and quicker to buy a second hand one off marketplace or gumtree and fit it and I am sure there is someone in your area that can write the VIN back and it is a 5 second job to flash it takes longer for the laptop to boot.
I do heaps of them series 1 & 2 for people but otherwise aftermarket is better.