Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 Sportswagon brake upgrade.

Sleepy Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE V8 Calais Wagon
Hi Guys

Im hoping some one can confirm if I can put VE HSV GTS brakes on a VE series 2 Calais sportswagon as an upgrade ?

Cheers

Nick

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
cant see why not, you will need to change your wheels(if standard) to clear the HSV calipers thou

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hi mate, there are a few threads currently about this.
Yes it is possible, you need HSV or replica rims. Redline rims may work. Technically you need engineers approval.
Sportwagon does need better brakes, consider 4 x 4 pot 14" Brembos as specs almost identical, more volume sold, direct model replacement, hence better pricing.

8e4y7a7a.jpg

Sleepy Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE V8 Calais Wagon
Sounds like an easier option, Thank yo for the quick response :beer chug:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Yes Brembo is a good option but your standard holden Calais wheels will not clear these Brembo Brakes either.

You will need to buy a set of 19 inch Commodore REDLINE wheels as fitted to Brembo equipped Redline Commodores ex Factory or one of the aftermarket wheel sets that are designed to clear big brake packages.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Why do you need Engineering approval to fit SSV Redline spec Brembo's?

Also, the photo above from Pirate shows Brembo's (rear I think) under VE SSV wheels! How do they fit???

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Why do you need Engineering approval to fit SSV Redline spec Brembo's?

Changing rotor size, and changing number of pistons in the calipers, see below.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showpost.php?p=2592072

Also, the photo above from Pirate shows Brembo's (rear I think) under VE SSV wheels! How do they fit???

No that's the front, had the axle and disk hats specially engineered and approved with the 14" T3 4000 discs and CTS-V differential bore calipers. But practically it means I can run the hard, stock rims, swap all five wheels, and not look like a turnip to the many bored country pigs I see every day.
BTW our Sportwagon also appears a lot slower than actual speed I've discovered, according to trained HWP officers.

datenyma.jpg

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
No that's the front, had the axle and disk hats specially engineered and approved with the 14" T3 4000 discs and CTS-V differential bore calipers.

Cheers. Can you give me more details on this achievement. I thought the CTS-V calipers were the same as Brembo's in size and function?
Assuming the disc hats have a greater off-set from mounting face to the pad contact face (effectively moving the caliper inboard) then the mounting face for the caliper would also have to move inboard. Am I getting close?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Cheers. Can you give me more details on this achievement. I thought the CTS-V calipers were the same as Brembo's in size and function?

Yes they are same but you are going from 330ish to 355mm and two piston to four. Doesn't matter if fitted to another model variant, according to the technicality of the law (like I mentioned is only a technicality), you don't need full-on testing but do need approval.
I put four pots big disk on rears so there is no such grey area in the rules.

Assuming the disc hats have a greater off-set from mounting face to the pad contact face (effectively moving the caliper inboard) then the mounting face for the caliper would also have to move inboard. Am I getting close?

No cold, cold... longer studs and adding material to disk hat - 15mm rear and 20mm front.
Think like having spacers, which are not subject to approval, this is spacing material fixed and integral to disk hat, not separate item between disk hat and wheel.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
No cold, cold... longer studs and adding material to disk hat - 15mm rear and 20mm front.
Think like having spacers, which are not subject to approval, this is spacing material fixed and integral to disk hat, not separate item between disk hat and wheel.
Oh, I thought you had achieved the unachieveable with Brembo's under standard Wheels.
I really can't understand why spacers are approval exempt. Effectively spacers increase load/force on to all associated components by means of a wider wheel track (leverage).
Not sure of figures but the further you move the wheel centreline from the bearing hub centreline, the larger the bearing would need to be for acceptable load.

I have Brembo's and Redline wheels but would much rather have stayed with the original SSV wheels like you have.