Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II Timing Chain/Check Engine

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Not necessarily,, mine never throw any code out, but the rattle was getting noisier by the day, finally when I open the cover, picture wasn't the best, all 3 chains was stretched and one guide was shredded.
Because, for some reason, none of the chains jumped, didn't get a code.

How did you know "all three chains were stretched" without a code? From what I understand the chain stretch is minuscule, barely even measurable, and it WILL always throw a code because the ECU detects a slight timing differential. It doesn't 'jump' at all like you said. Sounds like you had a knackered guide making noise and that's it.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
i thought the chain issue was only up to 2008?
what was the service history on this car
Ex Police Wagon, full Holden Dealership service histroy. I change my oil every 7000ks since I got the car at 89000ks now done 122000ks

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Have them do the software update and check the position of the sensors before replacing the chain.
Software update has already been installed . Holdensaid tgey will do full diagnostic prior to opening it right up

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
I would be getting a second opinion before paying to get the timing chain done. I had intermittent check engine light problems with my sv6 for months. I went to Holden to get them to scan the code and they said timing chain code but was coming and going. They finally ended up finding a faulty wire on one of the cam chain sensors. They just automatically say timing chains and hope fixing it makes the code go away. Don't trust them.
Thanks for the advice. Will be getting them to check everything before just go diving in to install the chain kit.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
If you are going to keep the car i would have it done,good for another 100,000K's if you keep the oil up to it,not worth wrecking the motor as obviously something is wrong.
Someone on here should be able to recommend a good workshop in Melb. to do the chains at least a $1000 cheaper than a Dealer,i think GMH dealers are charging $2500-$3000 these days.
$2100 at Holden Dealership. 2 year parts guarantee.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Yes, I'd very much like to know exactly what the books say also.
One owner vehicle?
Im second owner. Ex Police. Full Holden Dealership service histroy. I only use AcDelco oil every 7000ks I change it.

Chris.R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve SV6
double post sorry

Last edited:

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
$2100 at Holden Dealership. 2 year parts guarantee.

......does that price include new HB,belts,hoses,fluids etc,if so its cheaper than Qld. Dealers.

Chris.R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve SV6
is it only holden that can do the software update and what does it cost.
thank you
chris

Last edited: