Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss 6ltr L76 high idle after throttle body clean.

Armandovzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss 5.7
It's not advised to clean these throttle bodies on the car, by physically moving/forcing the butterfly you can damage the internals of the sensor, these ECUs will relearn the throttle position but it requires being driven, if your idle does not improve after 100kms the throttle body will need to replaced.

Been driving the car for 4 days now nothing seems to be changing been well over 100kms aswell

InnovativeTech

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac S1/Torana Hatch
Been driving the car for 4 days now nothing seems to be changing been well over 100kms aswell
That is unfortunate, was this an issue you were trying to solve when you cleaned the TB? Was everything running fine prior? The TB's can be sent away for testing.

Steve ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSv
We have done a throttle body clean with throttle body cleaner and a rag as the butterflies were full of gunk now after the Clean the idle won't drop it's sits at 1500 to 2000 rpm in park and 1000 to 1100 In drive. Been to about 6 mechanics with all different scan tools and a hp tuner and they are showing nothing is wrong?? any o e else had this problem and how to solve it ? Throttle body was left on the car at the time of the Clean and butterfly was manuly opened by hand and tps was still plugged In.

Steve ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSv
Hey mate, my mechanics just did my harmonic balancer and also cleaned out my throttle body too. Same issue as a result. Have you found the answer yet? I’ve changed my battery, done the 10+10+10+10min reset sequence 5 times over. Driven it through the relearn stage. Still no luck. I’m going on holidays in 3 weeks and I’m stressing my cars gonna be out of shape for the trip.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Just replace it,don't stress...It's electronics are buggered ,cause it's been finger fiddeled ..

Steve ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSv
Just replace it,don't stress...It's electronics are buggered ,cause it's been finger fiddeled ..
I replaced the throttle body and the air flow sensor and still got issues

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I open my throttle body manually with my fingers to clean it and it’s never caused any problems

InnovativeTech

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac S1/Torana Hatch
Sounds like the Throttle body is stuffed

Lunati

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 CV8- 2007 VE Calais
My scan tool has a throttle relearn for this, which as i guess most mechs have. I clean t/b's all the time, and never have an issue, but i have had them come in doing the same thing (commodores and those non-commodore vehicles)
If you have access to HP tuner or similar, you can use the scanner to control the idle. This should help isolate where the problem is. If you cannot get to the target idle, its probably getting air from somewhere else. Check PCV, intake tubing, manifold gaskets...and this can be done easily with a water spray, brake clean....
There are test procedures for checking the TB before you buy one.