Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS A/C to VE SSV A/C

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
I'm totally over my A/C crapping itself every 6 - 12 months, has anyone converted a standard SS to a SSV or Calais dual zone climate control, what parts do I need, I don't have a problem pulling the dash apart to replace or getting into the local dealership to have it programmed, already know I need to get the heater and blower assembly, stereo facia and the temp sensor, but I also read elsewhere that I also may also need to get the stereo stacker also. Any info will be a advantage. Thanks

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, you will need to upgrade your headunit to the SSV / Calais / HSV Colour LCD model.
(This in itself will require the VIN number to be programmed in order for the Headunit to work).

Next, you will need to source a DZ Climate control module (HCE), and swap this with your existing Single Zone HCE.

Then finally, you will need to fit the external and Internal Ambient air temperature sensors, as well as a DZ Sunload sensor. (Which is the existing daylight/dusk auto headlights on sensor, but with two extra sensors to determine how much sunlight is hitting the drivers side, and passenger side of the windscreen).
You will also need to fit a second blend door motor for the system to adjust the passenger side temperature.

These will need to be wired up to the new HCE module, and once complete, you will have Full (Proper) DZ Climate control.

Another member (MsEnj) has completed this mod to her Omega.
Some more detailed information on this can be found here...
www.carmodder.com • Converting to Automatic Climate Control for the Holden VE Commodore

Whether it is a worthwhile upgrade really depends on what you want from your car.
Personally, cost wise, its not a lot of coin to carry out.
Wiring wise, there is a fair bit to do to get it working. (Its one of the more complicated mods you can do)..

I hope this helps.

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
Thanks for the info, I checked out the link, some of the parts listed come with the complete heater blower assembly from Holden, shouldn't be too complicated after pulling the dash apart and replacing parts then reprogramming, brother has a SSV same year and has had no trouble with his A/C.

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
If you are doing this mod thinking it will give you a more reliable or better a/c; you are wrong! Mines a MY10 SSV and is at the moment in getting the dash out to try find the issue i have had since new. Last resort after many attempts with all other components. Each 8 months it loses enough gas to be inefficient. I am fairly certain others have had issues with there SSV systems as well.

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
I understand mungus where you are coming from, judging by your profile picture a sports wagon has how much more interal cabin space to cool?, plus mine (a sedan) has only had a low gas issue once, over the years there has been hvac module replaced, stereo fascia replaced, sensors inside the A/C box inside the cabin, vent motors replaced and a number of other components replaced. My brother has a MY10 SSV Special Edition sedan exposed to the same environment conditions (being in the same town as me) has never had any dramas with the A/C except for a recall on the fan motor.