Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ss exhaust crossmember plate

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
So how does Holden get away with removing the plate when they fit the Walkinshaw packs at the dealership. AFAIK the Walky exhaust doesn't fit unless you remove the plate.
View attachment 188811

I think you are confusing Holden - the car manufacturer who has to pass the safety requirements, Walkinshaw - a rebranded supplier of flashy parts, and the dealer - well they obviously would sell their granny and state the biggest load of crap if they know they may get away with it.
Bottom line is that Walkinshaw will say that photograph was for display purpose and dealer is merely arranging to supply what customer asks for. Caveat emptor.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Hey guys,
First ever post, be gentle lol
I've looked everywhere for info about this but have had no luck.
Just wondering if the black plate that is across the crossmember section of the exhaust is needed. I've just fitted a new exhaust and it seems to be rattling against it when Im at idle. Can I remove it?
Thanks in advance.

Just put some washers under it to give you some extra space. That's what I did initially. Then I just bought a BMR one from the States that's made out of square tube steel and end plates that is very strong and also gives some extra clearance to the zorst. The downside is less clearance to speedhumps and the like.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yeah, that's why they put it there made from a special high shear strength steel and published it in the VE materials specification as an integral safety component. Try cutting it, many have, it's a laugh!
Your level performance and safety may vary taking bits off and putting aftermarket bits on your car, however when it comes to what constitutes important structural integrity of the vehicle I'll take GM's expertise and published data.
As much as I love a laugh, the underbody brace is not a safety net in case your rusty exhaust falls down. Thank you for your informed input!

If it's a brace, then it's a brace, I stand corrected. You don't have to be a dick about it. You seem to take great pleasure demeaning and belittling people. or the record, I never mentioned removing it. But do you have faith in GM's own work practice by not following their own expertise and published data by removing that brace when fitting their Walkinshaw system?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
If it's a brace, then it's a brace, I stand corrected. You don't have to be a dick about it. You seem to take great pleasure demeaning and belittling people. or the record, I never mentioned removing it. But do you have faith in GM's own work practice by not following their own expertise and published data by removing that brace when fitting their Walkinshaw system?

You don't have to be a dick by belittling people either. Just stand there, corrected, until I say. Humble pie is not meant to be demeaning, unless you are full of hubris.

bbpirate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS L98
Anyone know the size of the 4 bolts that hold up this plate? Length, size and pitch. I've been told they are about 40mm long, M15 with a 1.5mm pitch.
Does this sound right?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Anyone know the size of the 4 bolts that hold up this plate? Length, size and pitch. I've been told they are about 40mm long, M15 with a 1.5mm pitch.
Does this sound right?
They're like a large 'self tapper'.