Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS - Front end clunking and rattle noises

pg2205

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commdore SS
I have a 2007 VE SS, and since I’ve had the car I’m having a number of issues with the front end. When I bought the car in Dec 20012 it wasn’t quiet steering right. So with some help with you guys here it was clear that the strut tower bushes where gone and the sway link was shot too. I had those replaced and 2 wheel alignments later, its still not 100%. The car clunks and rattles over bumps and the steering wants to head in another direction over bumps (only slightly!).

My old VR Statesman seems to drive better than this car. The Statesman has done 280,000kms, and I’m amazed I’ve never once had to replace any bushes or bearings on the suspension. Yet on the VE SS, now at 110,000kms, I’m finding all sorts of bush problems.

Are the factory VE bushes/bearings crap? If so can anybody suggest aftermarket ones that are a little more longer wearing?

This website rocks, love it!

timc83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS
I'd be putting in a set of front swaybar "D" bushes, holden revised thim in, by memory about 2009, that fixes rattle noises in VEs front ends nearly every time.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
It may have been like it from new as it is one of the too many to list common faults. Dealer was unable to fix a 2010-11 mod V8 ute someone I worked with had. Don't know if it was ever rectified.

BushSSV

Stone chip collector
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV
Could be the struts themselves in a 2007 model. Mine didn't stop with the annoying rattle until the actual struts were replaced.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Sounds like the car has had a rough life before you got it. I'd replace the front struts anyway, get a printout.

BruceSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS auto
Definitely replace the front sway bay D bushes with Superpro polyurethane as they will be worn and causing the clunk. The difference is amazing. At 110,000 km the struts will be worn out as well.

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
mate had the same prob with my good ladies VE 2006 sv6....used aftermarket strut top mounts and it still rattled...it wasnt till i did the sway bar d=bush and genuine strut top mounts that it settled down and noise went away...mate they are such fussy cars when it comes to parts...no wonder we sold it....agree with you to...ive got a vx clubsport and for ride quality it craps all over the ve....